5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Thinkin about ditchin the fox, and hittin up a new edge...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:40 AM
jman511115
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Thinkin about ditchin the fox, and hittin up a new edge...

Lol. I've got a 76 camaro for when I want to really bring on the beat down... and pretty soon I'll be rolling in an 88 GT with enough torque to dismember a dump truck.

And can't forget the 4 banger ranger. 0-60 in less than two minutes!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:54 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

I think it is a good idea to upgrade to the New Edge. If you can afford not to then you shouldn't drive a fox as a dd. The new edge is so much nicer to drive day in day out. As far as modding is concerned, check out Hot Rods new article on the 2v. Its in this months issue. They took some PI heads to a place in Simi Valley, CA and had them ported and polished for a grand. Then threw in a set of comp cam bump sticks, an intake and carb and made over 380hp to the flywheel. The 650 carb and intake setup are unrealistic but thats a pretty good bump in power still using stock heads and keeping it N/A. Ow and a 4.6 with SLP LM1's is.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:20 AM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

cool guys, thanks for all the input, keep it comin. You've givin my a lot to think about.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:25 AM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

you will regret it
eh, enjoy the new edge
Old 02-20-2008, 09:06 AM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

The new edges aredecent-looking vehicles, but I've always been partial to the 5.0s. I guess that's why I compromised and got a '94 . They do put down more power stock, but the power band is a little higher in the RPMs than the 5.0. Like said before, they can get real expensive to mod past bolt-ons seeing as head and intake selection isn't anywhere near what it is for a 302 and cams are usually x2 the price seeing as you need to buy 2. That's why a majority of 4.6 cars putting down decent power are some sort of F/I. I also like the exhaust note of the 5.0 better, but thats personal preference and I have heard a couple mean-sounding 4.6 models (especially 4v ones).

They do get better gas mileage, but it's marginal at best. Stock they are rated 17/26 whereas the 5.0s are rated at 17/25 (for my car at least). Those are EPA numbers but I can say from experience that 17/25 is pretty much spot on for me as long as I drive somewhat conservatively. I do agree with getting an '01 or later though as the T3650 is (from what I've heard) a more reliable transmission than the T-45 that the 4.6 had from '96-up. The T-5after '95 was only used on V6 models.

I guess to conclude this, a New edge would be a more reliable car for DD use, but if I planned on doing some majormodding I would rather have the 5.0.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:37 AM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

so how do these cars handle mods? Are they real finicky? Could I put in some big cams without any problem? How bout if I were to turbo it, what kinda problems would I run into?
Old 02-20-2008, 05:32 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

They should handle mods fine, and I think they would be easier to tune since all you need is one of those handheld tuners. As far as cams, expect to pay more since you need 2 as well as a little more work as installing cams in a modular engine is different than in the Windsor. The whole thing people are talking about with mods is that due to pricing and aftermarket support, it's very hard/expensive to make a 4.6 with lots of power N/A. That's why the vast majority of modded 4.6s have a supercharger or turbo.

I just realized that in my last post I pretty much looked at just drivetrain stuff and didn't put in my opinions on everything else [8D]. I like the newer interiors better and the build quality on the newer cars is much better. I haven't driven a fox but people who have driven both say that the sn95/new edges drive much nicer and feel more solid. Having 4-wheel disc brakes is nice too and the 5-lug gives you a bigger selection of wheels.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

I realize I'm detracting from the point, but why not just buy a Fox that isn't a total basketcase? If you drop even half of you budget on a Fox you'll be buying a very very very nice car.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:35 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

id say get a 94-95 GT...i drove two new edges (my brothers 2000 GT and my moms 03 V6) and now that i have my 95 i cant stand driving those two cars anymore....and you can get the 94/95 cars alot cheaper than the new edges...we payed more than twice as much for my brothers 2000 GT than mine....i think i was able to get mine with 60K on it for 5000...and you still get the really nice interior with it
Old 02-20-2008, 07:48 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

one other thing with the driveability issue...idk how much winter u have where u are..but the new edges have trac control...and im sure thats gotta help some if you have to drive thru snow..ice..well ur still screwed n u should just leave the stang at home lol..but snow i would imagine is a little better with the trac control...i as well like the interiors of the newer ones...and they can be made to sound realll nice...

Quick Reply: Thinkin about ditchin the fox, and hittin up a new edge...