5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Drag radials for my Notch

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:46 PM
1990boostang
2nd Gear Member

Default Drag radials for my Notch

Im getting ready to buy drag radials for my 89' Notch. I waswanting to know which is better. I was looking at the Mickey Thompson e/t streets, Nitto nt555r, and a lot of other brands but I want to know which is best...
Old 03-12-2008, 12:52 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Drag radials for my Notch

well there is a thread over in the general thread,very good writeup of traction isues and stuff. well it says that for the best sticky tire for your stang was a et street/et drag with the most sideall you could put under your car. they said more sidewall was especially better for the 5speed cars for when your launching.

i just bought a set of weld draglites with some 26x9 et drags on them for 300 bucks. so now i have some sticky tires now,just got to get my motor dialed in and a few more miles and an air,fuel ratio tune and then to the track.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:53 PM
uhohthe50
1st Gear Member

I have MTs on my car. When I was looking around, people said that they were the go. They stick great and I love them,, I just don't know how the others are. From what I remember, the Nittos had to be heated up quite a bit to be sticky

pic>

Old 03-12-2008, 01:15 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jaikens

I have MTs on my car. When I was looking around, people said that they were the go. They stick great and I love them,, I just don't know how the others are. From what I remember, the Nittos had to be heated up quite a bit to be sticky

pic>

ya u have mt's but those are the drag radial , nothin wrong with them but for much better stickiness the mt et drags or mt et streets, also the hoosier slicks are gonna be more sticky of a tire just that the drag radial will be more forgiving on the street
Old 03-12-2008, 01:24 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Going by what i've read the mt drag radial's are best. I tried to order some in dec and they were back ordered for a few months. I went ahead and got BFG's again, they are a great tire also.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:34 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Before buying, you should decide how much track time you will actually see. The mickey's won't last as long but will hook the best. The BFG's will hook better than Nittos and last longer than the Mickey's. The nittos will out last all but not hook as well. I ran Nittos for about 3 years. The tread life was great, about 12K before I took them off. They do have to be heated quite a bit but they will hook. See

Launching on Nittos

Even w/ 17's, they still have a pretty good wrinkle. 15psi and smoke them good. They are great on the street also. Does it look like I'm havin' trouble w/ these tires hooking?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:53 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

mt et drags
Old 03-12-2008, 02:15 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

pro dont you run the hoosier slicks now and if yes how were they.

like i say i just bought a set of wheels with mt drags on them so i should have no problem hookin either. one question about the tires i have is do they even like to be driven on the streets or not rocks and such ??? just curious never drove slicks on the road?
Old 03-12-2008, 02:34 PM
RODRIGUEZ
3rd Gear Member

I would go with the MT's, but thats just me.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:53 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: jtmustang

pro dont you run the hoosier slicks now and if yes how were they.

like i say i just bought a set of wheels with mt drags on them so i should have no problem hookin either. one question about the tires i have is do they even like to be driven on the streets or not rocks and such ??? just curious never drove slicks on the road?
I like the Hoosiers. They are the dr's. A buddy gave them to me. They will be going on my wifes car. I will be on full M/T et drags very soon. Yes, they pick up a lot of crap from the road. Just stay away from rocky areas.

Quick Reply: Drag radials for my Notch