5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Turbo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 01:56 PM
One Bad MOFO
2nd Gear Member

Default Turbo Questions

So I'm thinking about going with a turbo kit in the future here, and I have some 3.73 gears here at my house to install. I was told that I would be better off with the stock gears and a turbo, is that really true?
And then a Tweecer, anybody have one? Any experience with one? Would it be good to get one for tuning?

And then exhaust, whats the reason you can't run chambered mufflers with a turbo setup? Would an open downpipe be rediculously loud for street use? If I do keep a full exhaust and can't use the flowmaster mufflers, what other ones should I use?
Old 03-23-2008, 02:04 PM
1990lxhatch
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo Questions

Not unless you are looking to set a top speed record.

3.73s are perfect for an NA setup or a power adder. I have 4.10s and am strongly considering going lower once I addthe blower. Do yourself a solid and buy an aftermarket carrier. The trac lock has some disadvantages when it comes to cornering and handling gobs of torque. Another $300 or sogets you a rear end that will handle pretty much anything a 5.0 can throw at it.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:24 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

turbo works off of load...lower numerical gears put more load on the engine, which means quicker turbo spooling. 3.27's are awsome for turbos, 3.55's are ok too, 3.73 might make the turbo not get to full boost until a much higher rpm.
4.10's and a 5speed generally dont make any boost in 1st b/c of this.

i have a tweecer, just fried mine, should get it back soon. im still new with it but have a buddy that has a s/c car w/ the tweecer and he knows his stuff so i will be pretty good by the time im done.

backpressure+turbo=bad
turbos dont like backpressure, straight through or turbo style mufflers are needed. the turbo quiets down the exhaust note alot, it acts as a muffler in a scence.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no you need some gears.. 2.73's will kill you
Old 03-23-2008, 10:27 PM
One Bad MOFO
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94StinkinLincoln

turbo works off of load...lower numerical gears put more load on the engine, which means quicker turbo spooling. 3.27's are awsome for turbos, 3.55's are ok too, 3.73 might make the turbo not get to full boost until a much higher rpm.
4.10's and a 5speed generally dont make any boost in 1st b/c of this.

i have a tweecer, just fried mine, should get it back soon. im still new with it but have a buddy that has a s/c car w/ the tweecer and he knows his stuff so i will be pretty good by the time im done.

backpressure+turbo=bad
turbos dont like backpressure, straight through or turbo style mufflers are needed. the turbo quiets down the exhaust note alot, it acts as a muffler in a scence.
I'm friends with guys who do a lot of work on dsm's and they said I'd need some kind of data logger? They also said that with a turbo I'd need a wideband a/f controller? I don't know if I actually NEED any of that or not?
Is the tweecer something I'd NEED for the car to be tuned or is it an option?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:25 PM
TTGreenSN95
3rd Gear Member

a tuner would be nice, and a/f wideband gauge is a nice tool also!!!

inovative<<---probably ddint spell that right..makes a nice wideband with a good data logger you be a needing a laptop also nothing fancy just a cheapo off ebay will work for dataloggin. I paid 80 bucks for mine.

as far as tuning goes good luck with that tweecer it takes awhile to learn how to tune with it.