5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Exhaust.....AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Bullitt94
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust.....AGAIN

As a somewhat frequent reader/searcher, let me first say thank you to all for the previous feedback whether it be though searches or posts that I have done, but I have a question about exhaust (I know it may be tiring.) Second, I hope I'm posting in the correct section (since I'm looking mostly for advice or opinion.)

I'll give the current setup:
1994 GT
12* advanced timing
BBK equal lenth shorties
Summit H-pipe (no cats)
Removed silencer
K&N air filter

I am currently putting the H-pipe in listed above, and I was wondering about the cat-back set-up. I want to have a classic muscle car sound, but not so loud that it will attract the unwanted attention of the fuzz. I have plans for a future H/C/I upgrade, but in the mean time I want to have a nice exhaust for my set-up without breaking the bank. My original thoughts were to cut out the stock mufflers on the original Ford set-up and put in some Thrush glass packs re-using the stock pipes. I realize that I would be "necking down" on the exhaust tubing, but I think this would work well with the minimal upgrades that I am running. Has anyone tried this, or does anyone have any information that would make me want to do otherwise. I realize that glass packs can be loud, but it would get me by for a while. Also, in the end I want my car to look as though it is stock on the outside after the upgrades. Anyhow, I'm open for some discussion here.

Thanks for any input!

Old 03-29-2008, 12:18 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust.....AGAIN

thats gonna be insanely loud.
id go with your idea of welding in another muffler and keeping the stock pipes for right now.
as far as mufflers tho id go with slp, magnaflow, borla, or be like everyone else and get flows.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Stella94GT
3rd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_2658946/tm.htmthis is the exhaust thread that will help you dicide which brand you like the best. right now im running straight pipes and contrary to what some people might think, they sound pretty damn good however i plan on getting some magna packs, but anyways catback are pretty much the same so pick one that you like the best.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:48 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Souns like you want flows
Old 03-29-2008, 08:57 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

flowmaster and mac are decent sounding and not super loud like slp's
Old 03-29-2008, 09:57 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

FLOW MASTERS!

i have a set on my car, when i removed the cats for a BBK o/r H pipe, i thought i would be waking up the hole naborhood, but its only "loud" when i REALLY get on it.

but man oh man, i love having the top down and going under a bridge, or in a tunnel..... PURE SEX lmao
Old 03-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Bullitt94
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input. From my research it sounds like alot of people are using Flows or SLP's, and it sound like you fellas recommend Flows for what I looking for.

Ctgreddy, you liked the idea of re-using the stock piping; do you think that getting a new set of pipes would be too large and have too much flow for the amount of go I have?
Old 03-30-2008, 12:03 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

I think you should scrap the idea of using the stock pipe, go get a full fresh set of 2.5" mandrel bent pipes and flowtubes with some nice new Flowmasters. You will not be disappointed. Theres a reason everyone uses Flowmasters
Old 03-30-2008, 12:45 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Nice thing about flows is they sound good, they're cheap and have stock looking tailpipes. Mac tailpipes are usually more blingy but they look good also. Go with a full catback, you'll be happier in the long run.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Berry94
1st Gear Member

my set up is an h pipe with mac mufflers 3" all the way with no cats sounds amazing and not annoyingly loud like glasspacks