5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

getting rid of smog pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:21 AM
pelon562

Default getting rid of smog pump

I want to take out my smog pump assembly from my 89 5.0 lx, will i need to plug anything up after i take everything out???
Old 05-21-2008, 07:45 AM
vetstang

Default RE: getting rid of smog pump

You have to plug the thermactor holes in the back of your heads. You can order these plugs from trick flow or do what I did. Cut, crimp and weld shut the copper colored tube that connects to the back of the heads. Plug the AIRB and AIRD lines that connect to the smog tubing near your passenger side headers. There should also be a tube that runs from the pump toward your exhaust but mine had already been welded shut. If you have A/C and stock pulleys an 85 inch belt is perfect. Make sure to see how far down the driveway you can throw your smog pump when your done. I just did this 2 days ago and it was easy. The only thing I had to buy was a belt.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:04 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I did the same as above, just pluging the holes in the heads is the hardest part
Old 05-21-2008, 11:58 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

For plugging the heads I came across something they makes it cake....Its a radiator repair kit I got for $10...it comes w/ this 3" stick of putty thathas the consistancy of play dough and won't stick too your hands or anywhere you don't want it. Just roll up two seperate ***** to stuff in the two holes. It hardens in about 5 minutes to steel and can withstand *400 of heat.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:51 PM
vetstang

Ha! I was gonna use JB weld but didn't know if it would hold up.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:14 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vetstang

Ha! I was gonna use JB weld but didn't know if it would hold up.
Make sure you use JB weld quickdry(set in 4 min) I accidently got the wrong one and wastrying to plug that **** for 45min[:@] It was all soupy and would not stiffen up.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:09 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

+1 plugging the heads are a huge PITA. I honestly think I spent like 45 minutes on each head lol. You don't need to order plugs either. Somewhere floating around is a tech article which tells the size of the bolt you can get to plug the head with. I had a hard time finding a bolt short enough though so I had to cut the bolts down... not sure if you have that option or not but just thought I would let you know. good luck.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:13 AM
wiljersey
1st Gear Member

what wil it hurt if the copper line is left open. when i got the car 2 weeks ago this was open w/ no plug ( the copper line) from where the previous owner disconnected the smog pump.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:29 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

If your smog pump is gone, you wanna plug the line comming from heads and plug the one comming from midpipe. If you leave it open I think you will have an exhaust leak.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:46 PM
white02stallion

heres a ?. i have a 89 lx vert, i am deleting my smog, the question is on the box on the passenger side in front there is a line [i think its vacumm related] that runs up behind the shock tower and back into the fire wall ne idea how to remove the line and what it goes to

Quick Reply: getting rid of smog pump