5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

My hood flew up...wtf do I do now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Pietrasz4
3rd Gear Member

Default My hood flew up...wtf do I do now?

Alright well my dad was backing up his new truck and backed right into my 5.0...well the fiberglass hood is cracked and it wont shut and lock with the latch. So today I was going to take it to the body shop to see what they say. So I am driving there very slow and of course my ****ing hood flies up...so the pieces right under the windshield to the left and to the right of the cowl grill are in pretty bad shape. The cowl grill is broken which is no big deal, but I am wonder if the part of the body is fixable. I have included some pictures...I dont know if this can be pounded out and smothed over with bondo and just primered? I am going to paint the car next summer a different color so its a waste to paint it black again. This has been such a bad week...my other car (beater) got stolen and they found it without an exhaust, the gas line was all messed up, hole in the gas tank, and all my work equipment was stolen ($600 worth). Let me know if you think the local body shop can fix this...

Old 06-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Pietrasz4
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: My hood flew up...wtf do I do now?

Its all dented pretty bad, can they pound that out?
Old 06-26-2008, 07:13 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Not trying to sound like a dick but, why in the hell would you drive your car KNOWING the hood won't latch? Sorry dude but that's just shear stupidity.[&:] Guess you just made more money for the body shop.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

duuuuuuuuuuude!!!! your "f"'ed!!! no really it's repairible..mine was about that bad and I used a stud gun and pulled it all out and skimmed it with a coat of bondo and was good as new..but knowing what I know now..I believe they sell cowl repair panels?? if so cut it out and weld a new one in
Old 06-26-2008, 08:45 PM
droptop302
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

duuuuuuuuuuude!!!! your "f"'ed!!! no really it's repairible..mine was about that bad and I used a stud gun and pulled it all out and skimmed it with a coat of bondo and was good as new..but knowing what I know now..I believe they sell cowl repair panels?? if so cut it out and weld a new one in
My friend did that and would never tell it happened.. but i think he cut one out of a junk yard car
Old 06-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

that blows man, when you fix her up, invest in hood pins. I know someone here said if the hood is aligned properly the latch will work 100% but its a nice reassurance to know that there are the pins holding it down... cuz they arent going anywhere
Old 06-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Explosive

That looks pretty rough.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:28 AM
Tberg725
3rd Gear Member

Ouch, my hood flew up on me before....but like Pro said why would you drive it KNOWING the hood would not latch....
Old 06-27-2008, 06:30 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

This happens to much
Old 06-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Jrichber95GTS
2nd Gear Member

All i got to say is anything is fixable the qustion is what way is more spendy fixing it or getting new parts

Quick Reply: My hood flew up...wtf do I do now?