5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Catback question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 PM
gmw468

Default Catback question

Hi guys, I'm just looking for some feedback on a catback system.

I've got an 86 GT convertible 5 speed. Right now the car is bone stock. It doesn't have the original exhaust system but the replacement system appears to be a stock replacement type. It's gotta go!

I'm looking to add a set of shorty headers and a 2-1/2" catalytic H-pipe (I still need cats here in Pennsylvania to pass state inspection) and a catback system. I've listened to a few systems on youtube and pretty much narrowed it down to either the Flowmaster or MAC system. Any feedback/comments? Good or bad experiences? Any help is appreciated.

I like to hear my exhaust so loud isn't bad. I have a complete 2-1/2" system with Flowmasters on my musclecar and I like hearing it roar.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:51 PM
coondogg
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Catback question

Flowmaster FTW!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Explosive

So many mustangs have flowmasters. Really it's probably the most common. I'm sure you would be happy with the flows. It's popular for a reason.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:30 AM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

I have flowmasters as do everyone else, my exhausts comes right out of them, no tail pipes, its fukn loud
Old 07-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Dazzalad
1st Gear Member

OK, I have played around with different exhaust set-ups over the years and here is my free opinion:

Flowmasters- Stupid loud inside the car even with tailpipes. Insane loud inside the car with dumps/turndowns. Outside the car I like the sound and WOT outside the car I like the sound.

I have removed flowmasters from at least two of my cars due to the annoying noise inside the car.

MACS- with tail pipes it sounds stock to me inside the car. Quiet at idle and only sounds good at WOT. Sound inside and outside the car with dumpsis loud/deep and not annoying.

Pypes violators- Sounds good inside and outside the car, louder than stock, no drone or annoying noise and sounds mean at WOT. Sounds best with off road h/x pipe.

Powersticks- louder than violators and sounds old school mean inside and outside. A little bit on the almost too loud at WOT. No drone, no poping just old school chambered sound.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:48 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Dazzalad

OK, I have played around with different exhaust set-ups over the years and here is my free opinion:

Flowmasters- Stupid loud inside the car even with tailpipes. Insane loud inside the car with dumps/turndowns. Outside the car I like the sound and WOT outside the car I like the sound.

I have removed flowmasters from at least two of my cars due to the annoying noise inside the car.

MACS- with tail pipes it sounds stock to me inside the car. Quiet at idle and only sounds good at WOT. Sound inside and outside the car with dumpsis loud/deep and not annoying.

Pypes violators- Sounds good inside and outside the car, louder than stock, no drone or annoying noise and sounds mean at WOT. Sounds best with off road h/x pipe.

Powersticks- louder than violators and sounds old school mean inside and outside. A little bit on the almost too loud at WOT. No drone, no poping just old school chambered sound.

your assessment of MAC coundn't be more wrong.....I have them on my 85 and are loud at idle and wot and do not sound stock one bit!!!...would you like an exhaust clip of mine???
Old 07-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

^^^

exactly, my MAC kitis far from quiet and sounds nowhere near stock...

I also lack cats
Old 07-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Dazzalad
1st Gear Member

[/quote]
your assessment of MAC coundn't be more wrong.....I have them on my 85 and are loud at idle and wot and do not sound stock one bit!!!...would you like an exhaust clip of mine???
[/quote]

>My assessment is not wrong it is subjective. I ran MACS for two years and my opinion is my opinion... There are alot of things that can change the sound of exhaust from car to car. When people ask for opinions that is what they get. If you ask for sound clips then that is what you get. You and I are not in some contest and I do not care to try and prove a point. The whole purpose of several people responding is so that the original poster can weigh all opinions and decide forhimself/herself.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:14 PM
RODRIGUEZ
3rd Gear Member

I've got Flowmasters and they sound mean, I love setting off car alarms as I smash by...