5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Need Advice on a 1982 GT Possible Buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:13 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Default Need Advice on a 1982 GT Possible Buy - UPDATED w/PICS..Purchased!

I need your honest opinions on this one. Buddy of mine has a 1982 Mustang GT, orginal owner with only 14k original miles on it (I've known the guy/car since '85 and its legit). He's been tempting me with the sale for years. The past 10 or so years its been stored in a barn and garage and not driven, and not covered so it is in obvious need of a good detail job. It was started last year but ran rough.....most likely needs the fuel drained, carb cleaned, and new plugs. Earlier this year he told me $8k would take it and I said no way I can pay $8k unless he lets me take it home and give it a show quality detail, and get it running.....I even told him I would do this at no charge if I decided I didn't want it that way he could have a car that was ready to sell. Nobody would pay High Nada value for a car in this condition!

Well, today he calls and said he has a guy that is interested in trading him even for a motorcycle (which he happens to want) and the guy is asking $6k for the cycle. He wants to give me first rights. Now knowing the guy would probably take $5000-5500 for the bike, I'm thinking of offering $5500 and being done with it. Nada lists the '82 GT at $8500 for top condition and $5600 for average. This car as it sits is average at best but with minimal work over the winter it would be top! I've have ALWAYS loved the styling of the '82 and would love to save this car and keep it as an original survivor! Being the first year of a Mustang GT after the dreaded Mustang II era, these things are going to remain pretty collectible I think.

Thoughts....good or bad? Oh, just like this one (same color) sans the T-tops:

Last edited by sowaxeman; 09-29-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:25 PM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

If you got the cash. I'd do it. My Uncle had a black 82 GT. One of the mustangs i grew up around. I love the front end of that year model. Go for it.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

i'm really not a fan of 4 eyes..but i love that front end..if you have the cash, and its all minor stuff that needs to be done...go for it man
Old 08-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Explosive

If it's really that clean and you've got some cash go for it.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:37 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Well, technically speaking its dusty as hell But underneath its a very clean car that just needs some TLC in the polishing/waxing department. No rust, no dings/damage. Going to look at it tonight....supposedly the interior is still showroom clean.

Any other thoughts....how hard will it be to get running other than cleaning the carb, changing the plugs and getting fresh gas in it
Old 08-27-2008, 04:51 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

interesting I saw an 82 GT today
Old 08-27-2008, 07:24 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Id pay $7000 if I had the cash. That low of milage. As long as mice havn't gotten into the wiring or anything.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:09 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

I went and looked tonight, and it is in MUCH better shape than I was anticipating. The interior is dead on SHOWROOM new, the engine bay is imaculate, and the paint is in pretty damn good shape. It has 3-4 very small dings in the doors/fenders (from garage storage) that are not into the paint, and all are in areas that could be reached from the back and worked out. The hood has noticeable oxidation, but I believe I can work my magic with the compound/polish wax and the Porter Cable. Even the TRX wheel are mint and the tires only have 10k miles on them...he put a set of cheap chrome wheels and tires on it about 15 years ago to preserve them.

I need to talk to my wife, reach deep down and find the cash....and she'll probably be mine. I can't stand the thought of letting somebody else ****** it up and gutting it for a drag car.

Assuming this car is in my garage in the near future....any tips on what to do before firing it up? The guys said they had it running last fall but it was pretty rough. Do I need to drop the tank to drain the gas or is there an easier method to getting all the old out and freshening it up. Can I pull the fuel lines/filter and blow it out from one end to the other? I'm pretty sure with a cleaned carb, fresh plugs and fresh gas she'll be ready to run....thoughts?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

the carb may need a rebuild, those gaskets dry out over time and its best to have it all apart to clean the jets, floats etc...

your prolly gonna have to drop the tank to get all the old gas out. and I dont know about the lines...carbed cars have a manual pump right?

but hope you can snag her up, sounds like a real gem.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:42 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Well I did buy the car, and other than the paint still needing a severe compound/polish/wax job she is show ready for the remainder of the '08 season! I dropped the tank to freshen up the gas, had the carb rebuilt and replaced the filter, and changed the plugs - she fired right AND the choke worked just like a brand new car! I gave it a much needed bath on top and on underneath, and dried it off with some of that wet/wax stuff. Looks decent for now. This past week I got the TRX's all polished up and back on the car where they belong. Got the oil changed, some NOS battery cables installed (the originals were dry rotted) and yesterday I spent a couple hours detailing the interior with some carpet cleaner and of course Obsessive Detail's Silk Shine Dressing on all the plastic and vinyl for that show ready shine I'm REALLY digging this car the more time I spend with it....its a total joy to drive. Not very powerful but man it is just as tight as if it was still 1982 - might have to re-grow the mullet

Quick Reply: Need Advice on a 1982 GT Possible Buy