5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

how much psi

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 04:51 PM
nathanande

Default how much psi

How much psi can i run on my 89 gt looking to buy supercharger just curious all stock just has bolt ons
Old 08-30-2008, 05:24 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

boost is only a measurement of restriction so you can run as much as you want.... But I ran 14psi on stock stuff for a year. Customer of mine is running the same 14psi on his stock stuff also other then the E cam and gt40p heads and a ported cobra intake it does have forged pistons but the rest of the bottom end is all stock it runs pretty good 7.00 in the 1/8 mile that comes out to around 11.00 in the 1/4. all without a tune also.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:23 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

with all the stock stuff you can run 14psi but you'll need to upgrade fuel system and have a tune and it most likely will not see 14psi as the stock heads and intake will be the flow restiriction that'll impeed greater boost levels, most likely you'll see around 11 to 12 with the 14 lbs pulley
Old 08-31-2008, 07:06 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

No, the more the restriction the more the boost think about blowing through a straw then blow through a 2in pvc tube. what gives more back pressure. the only up grade to Brian's car as far as fuel is the big injectors and the 2nd inline pump and the good mass air . No tune other then what I can do by hand it has the 14psi pulley but yes by the time it gets through the intercooler it is 11 so I lied a little. we will be putting the 17psi. pulley on before the end of the year. then it will be 14psi.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:26 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

with a totally stock setup i wouldnt go over 10 psi but with a good upgraded fuel pump and injectors 12-14-16psi? how lucky do u wanna be as with that much psi i wouldnt be beating the snot out of it all the time.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:22 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

running any boost on a completely (down to the injectors) stock fuel system/engine is a good way to blow it up
Old 08-31-2008, 07:26 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by uedlose
No, the more the restriction the more the boost think about blowing through a straw then blow through a 2in pvc tube. what gives more back pressure. the only up grade to Brian's car as far as fuel is the big injectors and the 2nd inline pump and the good mass air . No tune other then what I can do by hand it has the 14psi pulley but yes by the time it gets through the intercooler it is 11 so I lied a little. we will be putting the 17psi. pulley on before the end of the year. then it will be 14psi.
You are incorrect. Why do you think ppl run power pipes? They want as much flow as possible, not restrictions. The stock heads will only flow so much. Even if you have a 20# pulley on it, you'll only see what the the current parts will allow. Now you will see boost faster, but that's about it.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by uedlose
of course you'll see 17 reading on the gauge or whatever level pulley you pick but theroy will dictate that just because you filled your mouth up with more water than previous attempt doesn't mean now you'll be able to flow any more volumne out of it when you try to spit it back out the straw, your just gonna turn more red in the face trying to flow the same volumne of water out that same diameter straw as it is with the e7 heads in stock form they'll eventually reach their max flow potential, true you may make a few more ponies with the 17 lbs pulley but no where near the full potential it could....besides why do I care ??? I don't run a s/c anyway
Old 09-01-2008, 04:12 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I know you want less restriction. No kidding guys. What I said was that the more the restriction the more boost you will see and that boost is only a measurement of restriction No where did I say that you was gone to make more power or less power did I ? Back to blowing through the straw (without water this time LOL) blowing through the straw makes you more red in the face then blowing through a 2in pvc pipe why because there is more restriction.now if we could put a gauge on your face there would be more press/boost. better flowing parts will give less boost but move more air so in that you will move more air with less boost press. and "should" make more power
Old 09-01-2008, 04:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

aren't you suppose to be at work!!!^^^^^^^^labor day implies work!!!!lol!!!! So I WENT TO WATCH RACING TODAY, what a waste of money!!! more so gas money, not to many cars there meaning street cars, and more so them stupid ugly rail cars and loud 8-9 sec rides, stuff you'll never see on the street!!!.oh and as far as the straw thing, I agree , i'D RATHER make more power with less boost initially cause in the end there is more room for potential, also a bigger straw makes it easier to suck up those SHEETZ milkshakes instead of the punny ones lately they have been sitting out there!!! takes me twice as long now to finish the shake and no where near as enjoyable now that I spend more effort trying to suck up the shake!!!!!

Quick Reply: how much psi