5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Trying to get to 300hp..your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:33 PM
KSUWildcatFan
2nd Gear Member

Default Trying to get to 300hp..your thoughts?

I've got a nearly bone-stock 1994 Mustang convertible GT and I'm planning on putting some money into performance when I get ready to have it painted in the next few months.

My goal is to finish with around 300hp. Obviously I'm not going to know if I'm putting out "exactly" 300hp, that's just my general goal.

Here's what I'm planning:

-GT40 intake manifolds from a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer, ported and polished
-GT40P heads from Tri-State Cylinder (http://www.tristatecylinderhead.com/...products_id=40)
-Ford Racing High-Flow Shorty Headers, ceramic coated (http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku)
-Cam? Unsure which to go with right now..
-Trickflow elbow adapter to fit Mountaineer intake on (http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku)
-Exhaust? Unsure which to go with right now..
-Gears? Thinking 3.27's, but I haven't decided yet..

Suggestions? :>

Thanks,
-Jordan
Old 09-02-2008, 05:10 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

There's alot of people that knock the Alphabet cams, but the E-303's seem to work extremely well with the 40P's and some 1.7 rockers to top it off and give the cam a little more lift. That's actually really close to the setup I was going to run until I changed directions and I'm going with a much more expensive setup. Tri-state is nice because they have the valves opened up and breathe much better than the GT40P's already do for stock heads. I wouldn't waste my time on those gears though. At least get 3.73's if you're going to actually take the time to swap something out. As far as exhaust.. mostly personal preference I guess. Some of them flow better than others. I've always wanted to try out a Spintech exhaust on one of my cars, though. They seem to open up pretty good, but they are fairly loud.

Oh, and for what it's worth... I am not knocking Tri-state as I've only heard good things, but you can get a good set of aluminum heads used from Edelbrock, Trickflow and SOMETIMES AFR for a few hundred more (starting at $700, and going as high as $1,200 for AFR's) .. Just think about that, as that may be a better option, and it's a good way to cut some of the fat off your front end. Not to mention - the shipping on those heads alone will be almost $100. Aluminums won't be but half of that so that's a good way to save money also.

Last edited by DeltaElite121; 09-02-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:45 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

do you want 300hp or 300whp?
Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 PM
KSUWildcatFan
2nd Gear Member

This is going to make me sound like a retard, but I'm not really sure. What's the estimated whp on a '94 GT? The specs I remember seeing said 215hp..I assume that's NOT at the wheels?

-Jordan
Old 09-02-2008, 07:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

rwhp is what it actually puts out at the wheels on a dyno where as at the crank it'll be alot greater but et is the only number that matters!!! a good heads, cam and intake, with all the bolt ons and exhaust and gears and dyno tune should get you close to 300 rwhp easy
Old 09-02-2008, 07:47 PM
KSUWildcatFan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
rwhp is what it actually puts out at the wheels on a dyno where as at the crank it'll be alot greater but et is the only number that matters!!! a good heads, cam and intake, with all the bolt ons and exhaust and gears and dyno tune should get you close to 300 rwhp easy

So, of the items I've listed, what do you think? For the items I didn't mention (cams, exhaust, etc), do you have any suggestions? Links are good, too.

I've got a budget of probably ~$2,500 (paint is going to cost me $3,000), so try not to get too carried away.. :P

-Jordan
Old 09-02-2008, 08:31 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

p heads are an okay budget upgrade, get a cobra intake or a edelbrock performer and as for cam choice maybe a steeda #19 and matching valvetrain with roller rockers and when it's all said and done a dyno tune to tweak a few extra ponies from it and for gears at least get 3.55's
Old 09-02-2008, 08:54 PM
KSUWildcatFan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
p heads are an okay budget upgrade, get a cobra intake or a edelbrock performer and as for cam choice maybe a steeda #19 and matching valvetrain with roller rockers and when it's all said and done a dyno tune to tweak a few extra ponies from it and for gears at least get 3.55's
Heh, too late to back out on the intake. The Explorer intake I bought came today (I'm trading it for the intake out of my friend's '01 Mountaineer so he can have this one machined without having to have his truck down).

The Steeda #19 was the only cam I could really think of, so..ok!

3.55's sound fine. This is mostly going to be a street setup, so I don't want to get *too* carried away, but even so.

-Jordan
Old 09-02-2008, 09:57 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Just a thought, for the price of $2500 you could get a nice used Vortech along with all the necessary fuel upgrades. Chances are you will see about the same, if not more rwhp as a good h/c/i, plus the installation will be easier and quicker.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:00 PM
stangman94
4th Gear Member

300 rwhp does you no good if you can't get it to the ground so get some nittos if its a Daily Driver or MT/s if its a weekend car

Quick Reply: Trying to get to 300hp..your thoughts?