5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

noob questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 05:08 PM
f1tbiker6

Default noob questions

What all needs to be done to lower our mustangs? obviously you can get lowering springs but does anything else need to be done to do that?

I see alot of talk about a 5-lug conversion. what bolt pattern do the 5.0 mustangs come with, and what bolt pattern does this convert it to?

body kits! anyone know where i can learn the names of the different styles?

Last edited by f1tbiker6; 09-17-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:21 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

Personally i do not like the looks of body kits offered for the mustang (unless its the cobra one offered by Cervinies)
5 Lug conversions i feel are awaste of time unless you really want a rim that is only found in the 5 lug pattern, (sorry dont know bolt pattern but sure its easily found or someone will chim in with it)
lowering your mustang... to do it the right way you should get springs, bump steer kit, caster camber plates and a alignment (this is the minimum) but since you are already in there you might as well change your shocks and struts, and think about your control arms, and wether or not you would like to do a tubular k member while your down there! i did the UPR chromoly k memeber, probably one of the best things i did. It is fully adjustable, and saved about 50 pounds on the front end
Old 09-17-2008, 06:24 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

PA claims 60 to 70lbs loss

haha anyways. you only require bump stear kit and CC plates when going lower than 1.5 inches. but your geometery gets more out of line the lower you go...so th recomendations above would be ideal if you have the funds
Old 09-17-2008, 06:25 PM
f1tbiker6

Originally Posted by kweb288
Personally i do not like the looks of body kits offered for the mustang (unless its the cobra one offered by Cervinies)
5 Lug conversions i feel are awaste of time unless you really want a rim that is only found in the 5 lug pattern, (sorry dont know bolt pattern but sure its easily found or someone will chim in with it)
lowering your mustang... to do it the right way you should get springs, bump steer kit, caster camber plates and a alignment (this is the minimum) but since you are already in there you might as well change your shocks and struts, and think about your control arms, and wether or not you would like to do a tubular k member while your down there! i did the UPR chromoly k memeber, probably one of the best things i did. It is fully adjustable, and saved about 50 pounds on the front end
thanks for the advice! heres the thing though, i havent yet learned the langtauge of cars, i speak truck.

what are caster camber plates and a bumpsteer kit? also dont know what a tubular k member is?

edit- do you have stock bumpers and side skirts? what i meant i guess was the different style of mustang(lx, glx, gt, etc...)
Old 09-17-2008, 06:47 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

lx's have tail pipes, GT have the body kit lookin deal where no tail pipes show, they dump just before the rear bumper. me and kweb both have LX's

K member is the main support of the motor than attaches to the cars' frame rails and the A arms are attached to it ect. ect. ect.

CC plates are the things that go on top of your strut towers that adjust your alignment

a bump steer kit is used when your car is lowered to the point your alignment in the CC plates cannot achieve an equalibrium amount your tie rods and ball joints....well here is a diagram it might help you understand easier

basically bumpsteer is when you hit a bump and it feels like your car wants to jerk itself off the road
Old 09-17-2008, 06:55 PM
f1tbiker6

is there a recomended kit for both these when lowering 1.5 inches? links please.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:02 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4908282+400280

lowering springs

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

bump steer kit + CC plates
Old 09-17-2008, 08:10 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

good infor FIVEPOINTOHH and hell ya we have lx's on my insurance card it comes up as a family sedan AHHHAHAHAA lol sure looks like one!