5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Need help ASAP please

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

Default Need help ASAP please

I just replaced my faulty IAC and now the engine is running at a constant 2k RPMs. Even if I disconnect the IAC, it still runs extremely high like that. I can't figure it out. I backed the screw down so it wasn't even touching the throttle plate, and it still didn't even affect the idle at all. I can't seem to find the guide to check the TPS anymore (the voltage) (Mine has three wires, two grey ones and a brown with white stripe wire), but before the iac was replaced, the only problem the KOEO/KOER test was the idle air controller thing, so not sure if that has anything to do with anything.

Also, wasn't sure about vacuum leaks since the only problem before the iac was replaced was it idle spiratic and low.

The car is sitting in a place where it cannot stay, so I need to get it fixed as soon as possible, and it's also the only vehicle i've got at this minute
Old 09-19-2008, 10:32 AM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Reset your computer. Look in the Tech Tips section TPS setting is there. Check your hoses.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

I ran another KOEO/KOER test after i installed the IAC, and there isn't any error codes it's throwing now. Do I just unplug the battery for 30 mins and reconnect it?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:31 PM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

PM sent back to ya.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:03 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Sometimes you have to drive it for it to relearn itself
Old 09-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

took it to a mechanic, and he said he thinks the new IAC is bad. Is this a common problem ? The old one when you unplugged the iac the car acted funny, this one has high rpms and doesnt change whether its plugged in or not so maybe it's completely stuck open. Going to see if they will replace it for me.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:49 PM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Hopefully he will find it. It's not really that complicated though.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

well, I just hooked the old IAC back up and even with the new one hooked up it's idling extremely high. I disconnected the old one and its still doing the same thing as the new one does. I don't know what the problem is now. The only difference between now and before, was an oil change and a new iac, which even the old one is doing the same thing now.

He also pushed on the EGR plunger (since the scan tool said there is 0% pressure from the egr), and it lowered the idle on it a LITTLE bit, but only around 500rpm's (still high for idling, about 2000). Would a bad or dead EGR cause the car to act funny or idle high like that ? I find it weird it ONLY started doing it since I replaced the IAC, whether the old or new one. I am scratching my head right now.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:16 PM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Well, as I stated in the PM, if you really backed the idle screw out, all the way, and the throttle plate is 100% closed, the air supply to the engine has to be coming from some where. If all was sealed tight, no air leaks, the engine would not run with no air passing through the throttle body.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:19 PM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Do you have voltage at the IAC motor connection?

Quick Reply: Need help ASAP please