5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

What To Look For Berfore Buying A Car ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Explosive

Default What To Look For Berfore Buying A Car ???

Alright, we are going to look at an 86 notch tonight I think. But this is a little different. It has no wheels, it doesn't even have a rear end in it right now. It's said to have been a 4 banger conversion that just never got finished. So what should I look for ? I know on hatchbacks the hatch likes to rust, what where do I look on a notch ? Also, how should I look on the body, would suck to buy a car to find the frames tweaked. So aside from the common rust sports floor pans, where should I look on a notch ?

~Thanks.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:50 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

pics, and you know just check it over real good for rust underneath car to see if it has had any body damage,wreck.....
Old 09-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Explosive

I thought I heard something about looking in the trunk, lean in and look upward towards the window glass or something ? I'll be leaving soon I think so inputs good.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:02 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

sounds like u got it just check it over real good everywhere under the car inside, under the carpet,trunk area and asks all the questions you can about the car to get a feel for how its been treated.

so how much and no rear and tires that might be a little hard to move
Old 09-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Explosive

Here's the story, the car is stripped and sitting in his garage, him and his dad started it but due to funds ect they stopped working on it and focused on their chevy. It's been sitting. The interior is at his dads, the car is at his. So we'll be seeing the car, the whole car. No interior in it or anything which should make that part easier. And we still our old 7.5 out of our the 79. So if we got it I guess we could bolt up a rear end put wheels on it and drag the thing onto a tow dolley.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:12 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

whats the price and any pics?
Old 09-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Explosive

I'll throw you a PM
Old 09-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Explosive

I'm off, I'll update later.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

damn, you lucky bugger you, first you build up a sweet car, now your at it again...

I wish I had money
Old 09-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Explosive

Car was blah.

When we first walked in, the rear half didn't look bad, but that soon changed.

Trunk had rust around the lips. Then interior was stripped, I saw two clean holes in the floor, another one on the bottom but the plastic lining didn't give way yet. Lots of rust / rust holes (big ones) in the door jambs and that area, rocker had a huge hole.

Then, up front the old radiator support was cut off since it had rotted out and was replaced with a new one, but that was was also rotted, the weld were crap, I could see right though them since half the bead didn't make any contact. Strut towers had a hole at the base. Small rust holes up where the windshield sits. Bottom of car was pretty rusty, rear was bad.

The car is savable, don't know about street, but it'd make a good drag car I suppose. But it'd take some work thats for sure.

Quick Reply: What To Look For Berfore Buying A Car ???