5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Stupid Cams....

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:48 PM
84gtcustom
2nd Gear Member

Question Stupid Cams....

Ok I am going to be doing my HCI & more. Here is what I got: used AFR 165 decked .012 and opened up to 64cc(i believe), AFM (anderson ford motorsports) HI-Rev springs, aluminum 1.7 RR, used comp cams roller lifters, RPM air gap intake, BBk LT headers, X pipe,)no exhaust has been chosen after that yet),

I have looked and for weeks now and am confused as to the size of cam, lift, a flat top piston can handle. I was looking at either comp cams XE264HR-14, XE266HR-12 FRPP E303, F303. Having an 84 I understand I have flat top pistons and a NON roller block, and that going with a roller cam I will need a conversion kit to hold the roller lifters in place.

This is my daily driver vert, I dont generaly drive it hard and I'm not trying to build a rocket. But I do want to be able to open it up from time to time. as far as I know the bottom end is all stock and the car only has 56K miles.

Q1. what is this roller conversion kit?
Q2. what cam would be suggested to use with what I have.
Q3. how will the heads being decked and opened up affect the compression ratio?
Q4. will I need a thicker head gasket or (what is stock thickness) will a regular give more compression
Q5. for now no power adders are being considered. I'll save them for the rocket
Old 09-25-2008, 09:58 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

to use the roller cams you have chosen , you'd either need the expensive conversion roller lifters with link bars = 400.00 + or a reduced base circle cam and stock lifters with retainer and h-bars
Old 09-25-2008, 10:00 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

as for question 2 resolve question 1 and we can go from there and having those heads decked won't be an issue, my 185's are decked .012 and are 58 cc before decking and no issues at all
Old 09-25-2008, 10:14 PM
84gtcustom
2nd Gear Member

I knew I forgot something. what is the highest cam lift for my app. .512 or .544 or ???
Old 09-25-2008, 10:15 PM
84gtcustom
2nd Gear Member

MJR46 what cam would you suggest?

thanks for your replys
Old 09-25-2008, 10:32 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you have a non roller block it appears so unless you buy the expensive conversion lifters to use a standard roller cam your choices will be very limited with reduced base circle roller cams...so choose what set up you plan to use first and go from there
Old 09-26-2008, 05:34 PM
SICNINETYCOUPE
1st Gear Member

if its a stock short block im not to sure the heads alone will fit let alone a higher lft cam. get what ever cam you want or are suggested to by a professional, and put it togeteher and check your clearances. thats the ONLY way to do it right. on a second note opening up the combustion chambers to 64cc totaly negated the point of milling the decks.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:07 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

im just gonna say, total lift DOESNT have **** to do with ptv issues. the cam isnt at full lift w. the piston at tdc...
Old 09-27-2008, 11:44 AM
84gtcustom
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
im just gonna say, total lift DOESNT have **** to do with ptv issues. the cam isnt at full lift w. the piston at tdc...
dimebag from what i've read you go past a .512 or .544 (i cant remember wich) lift and there might be problems with clearance. are you saying that isnt the case? at aither rate what cam would you suggest for a non roller or should I go with a custom one.

thanks
Old 09-27-2008, 11:56 AM
84gtcustom
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SICNINETYCOUPE
if its a stock short block im not to sure the heads alone will fit let alone a higher lft cam. get what ever cam you want or are suggested to by a professional, and put it togeteher and check your clearances. thats the ONLY way to do it right. on a second note opening up the combustion chambers to 64cc totaly negated the point of milling the decks.
Why wont they fit a stock block? I can get thicker or even copper gaskets to account for the loss of thickness even add more if neccessary

the chambers were opened up so that they were all uniform I might be confused to the size I got them used from a guy, i'll have to check on that. the head was decked because of some wear they had some miles put on them. and ya I didnt think the comp ration would have changed with both of these canceling each other in that regard.

thanks for you input

Quick Reply: Stupid Cams....