5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Im new with cars and forums

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:56 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Subframes are these metal bars that you weld in place, they connect the front subframe to the rear subframe of the car. Since the car is a unibody frame, it doesnt have a body with a detachable frame, theyre both integrated together. This is a weakness that subframe conectors correct.

not my car (too lazy to crawl underneath)

Those red things are the connectors
Old 10-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Lazor05
2nd Gear Member

ok i gotcha. so yeah thats probably a good idea if im going to be putting alot of stress on my car. I also have new rear control arms on my car. I keep forgeting all the stuff that was on this car when I got it. and thanks for all the help so far
Old 10-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Chuckles_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Actually you can do a CAI set up on a Carb, there are a few ways to get the CAI effect:

1: activate hood scoop, (cut the fake opening of the hood scope out and cut the hood under the scoop so the air flows right onto the carb) and then get the K&N cover as stated

2: cut the top of the hood off and raise the carb up there, "Let it all hang out!" not the most recomended since rair water and engine internals don't mix well.

3: do this: http://www.outriggercanoe.com/stang/82mustang.html (not the whole build, unless you want to)

The pic is about 1/2 to 2/3 the way down. Basicly you wrap the carb and suck air in from each fender wall though the tubing. Now some one will correct me if I'm wrong and this is actually a worse way then just the open carb like you have, but it looks like a CAI set up to me. (of course hard metal pipes would be beter than the plastic elbows in the pic)

Hope that helps.

P.S. I love that hood decal
Old 10-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

not that bad looking of a car.

looks pretty clean.

and looks like they did alot of the hard work for you.

thats a true dual system alright, looks like some good parts too.

a little greasy under there tho...
Old 10-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Lazor05
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the advice, making the hood scoop functional sounds like the best plan to me. Yeah I was looking forward to doing some hard work but I guess there isn't too much I can do right now. mainly because of money. How do you recommend I clean the underside of my car? what should I use and what do I do about the rust? sand it and paint with anti rust paint?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:45 PM
306stang
2nd Gear Member

Before you start doing mods, fix all the little things that are wrong with it. they'll haunt you for years if you dont.

Find out exactly where that oil is dripping from, figure out a solution and fix it.

The car looks real solid, and you're talking to all the right guys, Welcome!
Old 10-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Lazor05
2nd Gear Member

Thanks again for the help guys. I would have no idea what to do without your help. I definitely want to get the small stuff fixed first and im working on the interior mainly right now. Heres a pic of where I think the oil is coming from. any ideas of what to do?

There is also this cable that isn't connected to anything. I'm guessing it's a ground. could this be the problem with the speedometer?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:31 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

That cable is a ground, the problem is, its grounded to the firewall but nothing is feeding into it. I would def find where that goes, maybe someone with a fox knows what that is.

As for the leak, it looks like it could be the intake manifold gasket. I know for a fact that that is a very easy fix, you just need to remove the intake manifold( you can leave the carb on it) and lay down some new RTV on the front and back, with new gaskets on the heads.

I just did that on my truck a few weeks back
Old 10-02-2008, 05:39 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

nice 82
Old 10-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

the speedo not working is most likely a fautly speedo gear, or bad cable, or even a broken gauge.... the speedo cable goes to the transmission, the speedo gear is there....the cable feeds through the firewall into the back of the dash...

and that ground should connect to the back of one of the heads... there should be a bolt hole back there, I forget the size/thread of it, but thats where it goes... its just an engine ground

as for all the grease, the engine was prolly pulled at one point, and it more than likely had a bad rear main seal so the oil just went all over.. the reason I am saying that is the block is blue, and I am 95% sure they didnt paint the blocks blue back then.... best thing to do is either spray some degreaser down there, take it to a carwash and pay for the underbody wash with the regular wash or take a pressure washer to it... wear shop clothes... it will be messy

Last edited by Shelty; 10-02-2008 at 07:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Im new with cars and forums