5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

spool questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:11 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
a well bit trac loc will always hook 2 wheels up!!
Yeah, absolutely. I rebuilt mine friction |steel | friction etc and gets two wheels most of the time. When it goes one wheel disaster is when turning right in first gear and the punching it. When turning left it always turns two. My friends 99 GT does the same thing too. If I ever get serious about drifting or anything then I'll worry about it.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:29 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i've said this before but wasnt sure how true or how severe it could possibly be. can launches really destroy a tranny? or would the input shaft go before a gear goes?

but lets say next spring i have built suspension for max weight transfer and max hook...built rear end to handle the hard launches and a well built motor...it'll be less than350hp and maybe 400 or slightly less with the nos.....but whats the next weakest link??
Old 10-03-2008, 02:44 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I run a spool in our car strange stuff with the 33spline axles. It scrubs the tires bad and you can hear it pawing at the ground all the time at low speeds in tight turns. and it can be a pain in the azz in tight turning areas like a parking place. but it is better then rebuilding the rear every year 1 or 2 times a year depends on how many times I race. So it was the best choice for us and I can adj. my parking habits to my needs. so it all works out for me. our c-clip eliminator also dont leak at all nor have the moser ones in a friends car and he has run his for 6 years. But his is limited street use. I went with the strange stuff after a mishap with the Moser stuff and they told me the 31 splines was not enough. the strange stuff has a much bigger bearing set up then the Moser stuff I was running. They are for street use where as Moser says there stuff is race. I did the Track -Loc thing with the 31 splin stuff for years and it worked well till we got into low 1.50 60fts and started to race the car alot then it started to take the ears off the clutchs and this was with a auto not a stick. I was also running 5 clutchs per side but it still broke up stuff.