5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

I need your help with buying a Fox!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:13 PM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

Talking I need your help with buying a Fox!!

Hey guys,

So I have been in the search for a decent Fox body 5.0 mustang for a little bit now. I am a college student and between that and my regular car payments, I am limited on funds. But I have a decent amount of money to get me a good solid used Fox to work on. I have come across this 1986 5.0 with only around 45,000 miles on the engine and body. It is completely stock except for some headers on it and he was doing an emissions uninstall. I have no clue what the emissions uninstall is, but it sounds like he is removing some of the exhaust. What I want to know from you guys, is if you think this could be worth perusing. I can get this mustang for a steal of a deal. So let me know what your comments or concerns are and if it would be a pain in the *** to change anything. I know that the engine bay is a bit dirty, but realistically how hard will it be to clean and "update" it to looking and performing good. Can I purchase a new intake plenum to get rid of that old dirty one? I am a bit of a novice with working on cars, but I have a lot of help from friends, so do you think I should be fine working on this? Or would this look like a complete over-haul? And like I said I want a project car to work on during the winter and drive just in the summer.

Possible upgrade I want to do:
-Sweet *** exhaust system
-Rebuild engine (mildly, clean it up)
-Possibly convert to a MAF
-Eventually Supercharger it

Here is the link to his photo album of where the pictures are. Don't worry about the other car in there that got into an accident. That's not it lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30425462@N02/
Old 10-05-2008, 05:55 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

depends on what emissions stuff he has removed and if you live in a state where compliance is a factor??? he could of removed, smog pump, egr, or cats???? or all of it??
Old 10-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

It must have been in a wreck at some point, because aside from the bastardization of putting an aero nose on a 4 eye and not changing any of the mouldings, in Pic 11, the driver side fender was originally red...

and are you sure its not 145? looks a little beat to be 45....
Old 10-05-2008, 09:07 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

pass, unless hell take 500 for it
Old 10-05-2008, 11:11 PM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys, I really wanted to get a good trained eye to look at this. He was saying $1200 for it. I have not yet seen it in person, but this was all he sent so far. Here is a direct quote from him on what he has done for the emissions uninstall (which by the way wouldn't really matter too much here in MI, we dont have emission checks like out in CA).

"the emisions on a mustang rerouts the exhaust through a valve that is heat sensitive and then recirculates back into factory headers.... with aftermarkets it can no longer be rerouted in and leave a few open vacuum leaks which throws the computer into limp mode.... so those open holes justy need to be blocked off..."

"cats are off... air pump is still ont he car along with the egt crap that needs to be finished blocked off (no spot for it on aftermarket long tubes) car has no cats 2.5" h-pipe. i was going to do gt everything never had time didnt buy the parts yet. i have the seat backs missing the bolts for them though that is all... car has 1 spot of rust around the edge of the drain hole in the drivers floor pan that is it... and that is nothing. other than that its totally rust free which is why i really dont want it to go this cheap but i have no option"

It just seems like he meant to say "this will be a pain in your *** to fix up". Am I wrong? Or should I just hold out a bit longer to find a more "cleaner" one?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:14 PM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

Would you all give it a "next" or "pass" on this one?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

personally I would give it a pass.... lots of cosmetic work, mechanical, and who knows what the car has seen, given it was given the ol' nose swap...

you can come across better... check the forums, craiglist, local listings, drive around looking for cars in the yard...ebay...

hell, I was flipping through the local "cars by dealers" ad booklet and came across an '84 GT convertible for 2900, 5.0, auto, dunno whats done to it...

there is also an '83 for sale at the autozone... 6 grand... custom paint, custom uphoulstry, weld wheels, 351 w under the hood, "extras" dunno whats done to it, but its cleanish looking

keep your eyes open, foxes are everywhere..
Old 10-05-2008, 11:29 PM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Shelty, believe it or not craigslist is all I ever use, lol. I want to show you this link, I have spoken with this guy before and I know he is pretty legit and a nice guy. I just dont know about the issues with it "FRONT RIGHT WHEELS OUT OF LINE, NEEDS STRUT AND STEERING KNUCKLE AND LEAKS OIL " Check it out and let me know what you think. Do these look like MAJOR issues, or something that I can get resolved relatively easily?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/cto/867928852.html
Old 10-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

I am far from an expert, Bernie or Mjr may chime back in at some point...
I mean, from the few pics it looks decent, but I dont know whats up with the front wheel thing... could be what the ad said, or a bent control arm, I really dont know, you'd have to take it to a shop and get her on a lift to check it out.... he lists a few mods, make sure he has reciepts, etc...

leaking oil, could be bad oilpan gasket, bad timing cover gasket, leaky oil drain plug, bad rear main seal, could be a bunch of things...

but dont jump on a stang, do shop around, I jumped on my first stang, an '86 3.8 t-top and it has been a nightmare, sitting in my driveway with a 5.0 under the hood, but far from running, far from driveable... my '91 I actually found here on the forum.... my dad checked it out for me, and Its been fun times ever since...

oh and make sure it has a clear title... my '91 despite it looking pretty decent, came from MD with an R-title... but well before I got it.... it was in a crash, as the front bumper was replaced... chipped paint underneath reveals it was once red... yet there is no frame damage of anysort... when it was transferred to PA, somehow it didnt matter or something...
Old 10-06-2008, 08:41 AM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

Yeah thanks Shelty, I know what you mean by not "jumping" on any mustang. But I have been searching locally through craigslist for about 2 months now. I just really want to get your opinions on the car. So from now on I will pretty much post the link to the car I am looking at, to get everyone's opinions. lol

Quick Reply: I need your help with buying a Fox!!