5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

My court date....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:55 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Default My court date....

This may not be alright to post here, but it is about my mustang. Here is my story.

About a month ago there was a big car cruise/show here in my town. I went down there with a few of my buddies...

Anyway, we all met up at my work parking lot and unloaded the Monte from a trailer(came from out of town) and left his truck and trailer there. Anyway, we went down to the show, behaving for the most part since the cops were really thick. Hung around till dark, then went back to the shop to load back up. When we got back I pulled in first and spun a quick nut, then the other 2 guys pulled in, taking turns doing holes shots and brake stands as I watched, probably 1 minute, at about that time, I pulled up into the middle and started doing a brake stand. Just as my tires started smoking a cop pulled into the the parking lot and went right to me since I was the only car moving. I was like damn, shut my car off, turned my lights off and got out to meet the police officer. I get out and the lot is full of smoke, not just mine remind you...First thing he said to me was "Thats a waste of good tires, don't ya think?" I was like Yeah, I guess so." Then the questions started, who are you, what are you doing here and so on.. So I proceed to tell him that I work here and my boss is OK with it. He runs my record, then comes back and asked what my boss's name is, so I tell him, then he asked for his number, which I don't know. Anyway he tries to call him and can't get ahold of him. In the mean while, my buddies are doing their best to avoid talking to the cops...pussies let me take the fall! Then I noticed that they were trying to load the Nova up on the trailer, which I found out then that my buddy smoked his motor just then doing a hole shot...guess he got it in a different way! Anyway, the cop comes back to me and hand me a ticket for careless driving, 3 points, $165. I said to him " I can get one of these in a private parking lot?" He was like, "yup", then I said" I wasn't doing it on the road, I waited till i got here" didn't matter he said. So anyway, that brings me to now.....I have a court date next week. I have a permission slip from my boss/owner and he also spoke with the cop saying it was alright.

So what do you think, do I have a chance? I think I deserved a ticked, he was just protecting the property. But does that mean you can't do it in your own driveway?

Anyone else have any trouble making stories in the 5.0?
Old 10-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

that sucks man, and I am pretty sure the cop was wrong with the private property thing... it is private property... if the cop cant park his car there to laser speeders, then they cant ticket you for a brakestand...
Old 10-06-2008, 08:02 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I do that in our shop parking lot all the time, difference is maybe for me my dad owns the property and all I ever tell the cop is it's private property and he is trespassing, never given me a problem
Old 10-06-2008, 08:06 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Hell, it is out in the boonies too, no one around, just having some fun. I could have been whipping nuts on the road...what would he have done then? Took me to jail??
Old 10-06-2008, 08:06 PM
speedstang06
4th Gear Member

I know you cant get a speeding ticket on private property, so I wouldnt think you couldnt get this one either. Either way I think you stand a good chance since you have the note. at the least it will probably be lowered...
Old 10-06-2008, 08:10 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

^^That is what I hope

It was funny, when he go ahold of my boss he said that he caught some "kid" in the parking lot vandalizing, then found out that that kid worked there. My boss was like vandalizing, what did he do? He messed up the yellow lines in the lot.......My boss laughed at him....

Just the day before, my boss own a 98 Mustang, where were talking about doing hot laps in the lot and lining them up in the road...LOL
Old 10-06-2008, 08:20 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

There is the possibility that he can say that the smoke show was obstructing traffic by hindering the clarity of the highway or street. I saw my dad do a burnout on the line lock in his driveway one time. I was about 300 yards or so away at an auto auction. I was like 14 or 15, it gave me pocket money. The cloud of smoke was so dense, it actually shut down the auction as the smoke rolled through the auction bay indoors. The auction owner was some kind of pissed off. He asked me to call my father and ask him to not due that anymore. I was like OK, I'll call him. Needless to say that the auction owner could hear my father cursing at him through the phone. I started laughing at him and went back to pulling cars through the bay. The only reason my dad did the big nasty burnout was some customers were ******* out a 5.0 mustang in and out of the auction test driving it. My dad wanted to show them what a real car would do. It was a 482cid BBC 78 Malibu, big tire car. It ran 10 teens all day N/A, everything built by him. Cage, tranny, engine and even narrows rear ends and sets up his own rear 3rd member center sections. The old man is a beast I'm here to tell ya. If any of you guys are around Columbus Ohio, he has a mechanic shop up there and loves to work on muscle cars. Just don't go there talking crap, he will run you off his property.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:43 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

^^ Even so thats not wreckless driving, thats a minor traffic offense. I would CERTAINLY contact a lawyer and see what they have to say about it. To me it seems bogus. Actually, I have my business law class tomorrow (professor is a 20yr lawyer and a judge), I'll ask him and see what he says. Ill get back to you tomorrow night.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:57 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Sounds great, thanks!
Old 10-06-2008, 09:22 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

Yeah if it's private property and you had permission it should be alright. That does suck everyone got done and you just started haha. Well you know what you learned out of that, be the first one to have fun, because by the time the last one does, somebody probably have the cops on their way.

Quick Reply: My court date....