5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

5.0 whistle and hard start

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:31 PM
pdostal

Question 5.0 hard start/warm shutdown

Hey stangers
I need some technical advice
I have an 89 Gt 5spd, Gt40 intake, edelbrock aluminum heads, 1.6 rockers, BBK cold air intake 65mm TB, MSD, BBK headers, X-pipe, borla mufflers, 3:55's, 190lph pump, 24# injectors
Here's my problem
1. there's a whistle at idle speeds when the car warms up and goes away when the throttle is pushed. It is coming around the throttle body area I just can't pin point it
2. car will not start properly. I have a fuel pressure gage which reads 40 PSi as soon asthe ignition is turned on but dropps to nearly zero when the engine is rolling over. I can hear the pump kick on and the fuel pump relay click but no cigar on fire

Please advise
Thanks

Last edited by pdostal; 11-09-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

spray some ether in the intake and see if it fires up if not is is most likely a spark issue in where the PIP signal is missing which is generated by the stator in the tfi and recieved as an input to the ecm through the tfi.....the pip is interpreted by the ecm that engine is cranking and therefore the ecm carries an output command to ground the fuel pump relay for operation...the whistling could be due to a vaccum leak and if none exist, often times the sharp castings in aftermarket throttle bodies and intakes cause such and by smoothing the rough castings the noise can be reduced if that is the case for you
Old 10-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Very common for the GT 40 intake to make a "whistle" type sound...
Old 10-21-2008, 11:50 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

does it go away if you port or polish them...or even just run a flapper wheel down all the runners? or is it the actual design that makes the whistle?
Old 10-22-2008, 01:03 PM
pdostal

OK, Car fired up right away this morning after a couple days sitting with no repair or changes
After the engine warmed up the rough idle and whistle came back
The engine quit but I was able to fire it up right away
Just what is exactly is a TFI & PIP?
Thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 01:20 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

look at your distributor. theres a plug on the front with a bunch of wires going to it.
thats called the TFI or Thick Film Ignition.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:53 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

is it a BBK throttle body? does it sound something like this?

http://www.dropshots.com/88bluegt#da...09-28/20:46:14
Old 10-22-2008, 07:46 PM
pdostal

OK now I know what a TFI is thanks, I have an MSD distributor/coil with about 45k miles
Are you suggesting the TFI is bad?
Also the car fired up again this afternoon but only for a brief moment and then had to push it into the garage.

I liked the video clip - thats exactly what the whistle sounds like and it is a BBK 70mm TB & EGR spacer
I will try to smooth out and brek all the sharp edges this weekend and we'll see what happens
Old 10-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Meierznutz

Check the IAC valve for a leak to... That is the canister that bolts on near the TB with the electrical plug on it. If the gasket is leaking, or the valve isn't shutting properly it may whistle when warm but not cold. The IAC valve is less than $50 from the stealership and is a 10 min afair to install. Good luck... Chris
Old 10-23-2008, 01:18 PM
pdostal

OK, I did some research on the internet for a TFI but all I get is a TFI coil
I do however see that the distributor has a module which is what I think you are refering to
I looked at the ease of replacement and it looks like the distributor may have to be turned to be able to remove the back bolt. Is this true? Also I'm not having much luck finding a module replacement for my MSD distributor. Please advise
Thanks

Quick Reply: 5.0 whistle and hard start