5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

INSTALLING GEARS

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:02 PM
80'smusclecarfan
1st Gear Member

You never get good at anything unless you try. $200-300 for install I wouldn't bother either,where I live in the land of a-hole's I am consistently quoted $1100-1200 and they will not install gears unless they provide them. I always tell people that a complete ford racing diff might be a viable alternative.If your in a situation like me.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:35 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

proper way to do gears is have a dial indicator to measure backlash and know how to shim carrier bearings with proper preload while getting backlash accurate at the same time, you also should have a inch lbs torque wrench that measures rotational drag/preload for pinion bearing, which is set via the crush collar...you also should have a press to remove pinion bearing to install proper pinion shim so depth can be set accordingly
Old 10-23-2008, 09:10 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
proper way to do gears is have a dial indicator to measure backlash and know how to shim carrier bearings with proper preload while getting backlash accurate at the same time, you also should have a inch lbs torque wrench that measures rotational drag/preload for pinion bearing, which is set via the crush collar...you also should have a press to remove pinion bearing to install proper pinion shim so depth can be set accordingly

props of working at a machine shop is we had all the things we needed when doing my gears. besides that special depth gauge which we got around. we replaced the bearing on everything we could while in there and having a variety of presses sure helps. if you don't have access to atleast a small press i wouldn't attempt it.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:28 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

+1 I wouldnt trust it to "any" mechanic either. I took mine to a "high performance" who have done them "a million times" and still did a sh*t job :/
Old 10-24-2008, 01:38 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

that is a job I would leave to a professional, just like a clutch install, I would love to know how to do it myself/would love to do it myself, but I would rather have someone who does this everyday do it than myself...
Old 10-24-2008, 08:51 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

lucky for me this is just a project and not a DD so i can play with it without worry and be patient with it. my gear intall went real smooth but once i had everything completed i had my neighbor(who i borrowed some of the tools from) come check over my work before i crushed the collar. i'm trying to do everything myself on this car and learn as much as possible.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

When I get mine done I'm taking it to a 4x4 shop that each of their mechanics literally has done about 10K gear sets in their period of working there. The guy is charging me 200 bucks since he is happy he only has to do 1 axle and it should be done in about 2 hours. Can't go wrong. My advice is either go to a 4x4 shop or a performance speed shop.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:22 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I'm gonna do my own when the time comes. I don't think there is anything really hard when it comes to working on a car.just time consuming. Just do the research first and take your time doing it.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Snakebite01

yeah i'll bring it to a place down the street from my house.. he only charges 215 for install and i know he's a good person to trust.. all he deals with are mustangs.. that's a job i don't want to mess up.. maybe i'll try it after i read up on it A LOT MORE!!! LOL

thanks for all your help!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 01:15 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

this is the write i used mostly. for the install. i used some other sources to clarify info but mostly this write up.

http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/gears.html

Quick Reply: INSTALLING GEARS