5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1989 Mustang California Special Edition Saleen INFO??? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:14 AM
LOW N GO

Flossy is correct....GT with emblem delete, sunroof, and grey interiors. Production #'s are questionable, I have heard 50 and 500 in 89, not sure about in 1990. Not sure what is accurate. I do know there was not 500 at Sears Point that day I drove it. There was only 50 going out to Nor Cal dealerships....maybe more for So Cal ...Good luck
Old 05-18-2011, 08:00 PM
loping5.0

Default about your saleen edition 5.0

i know you posted this years ago, but i just purchased the same car. i have done extensive research on this car, it was a dealer option back in 89, unfortunately this dealer upgrade didnt get a special vin code.

the car debut was held at sears point raceway in California, they olny made 100 of these cars. the only thing that set them apart from the regular mustang gt's was the suspension, if there was anything added to your car like gears and such i don't think that was a option back then, im still research on the car, i have been comparing transmition's from other gt's, saleens, and cobra's and i think our cars came with the t-5 z transmition, it came with ball bearings instead of needle bearings and had different ratios and could handle more power.

if you have gathered any other info i would like to know
Old 05-19-2011, 05:25 AM
Flossy

From what I have seen on Slakkr's, It looks to be a stock GT with just suspension that I know of. I am unsure about the Transmission. I do know that it is out of the car right now, if you have any questions about it, I can have him take a look. Any serial numbers or anything that would distinguish it being a T-5 Z other than pulling it apart?

Right now his car is getting a 347 stroker w/ ported GT40P heads, Ported Explorer intake, E303 cam, and headers.

Here are a few pictures from a few years ago...

Last edited by Flossy; 05-19-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:09 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Flossy

Right now his car is getting a 347 stroker w/ ported GT40P heads, Ported Explorer intake, E303 cam, and headers.
You might want to very serious, inform him NOT to do that. He will be VERY disappointed. GT-40P heads are a very VERY mild upgrade for a stock 302, and the E303 cam is a piece of junk.

You need to inform your friend that his car (with a 347 stroker) should be using 185+CC heads, a MUCH larger cam, and a very high flowing intake. such as a Victor 5.0, TFS R series, Spyder EFI, or Victor EFI

If he wants to know why... have him come talk to me.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Flossy

I have informed him... He said he will start off using this stuff until he can afford to get better stuff. I made a thread a while back and showed him it to prove to him that his "ported GT40P heads" are going to choke the engine.

I have a feeling he is going to want more when I dust him in my Formula.

Last edited by Flossy; 05-19-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:52 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

If he wants more proof, have him look at the power ratings of the 95 Cobra R.

Its a 351w powered, GT-40 headed 300BHP making slug. Yes, that means less than 300 at the wheels. If he hasn't got the money to do the job right, tell him to focus on other things, instead of just pissing his money into the wind.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Flossy

Why don't we keep this thread on track.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:29 PM
CBurn
2nd Gear Member

Holy old thread batman! LOLLLL I remember reading this 3 years ago!

I am also curious as to the outcome of this. Learned alot from reading this thread....3 years later.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:32 AM
Slakkr183
1st Gear Member

Been a while since ive posted on here, i forgot my information to be honest... Anyways, in reply to the fact that i am potentially choking my engine with the e303 cam and gt40p set-up.. i could possibly understand the cam, however i do the have the heads and lower intake ported to match these gaskets( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-5835/ ) i cant be choking it to bad.. can I? Btw i appreciate All the replies and information given to me on the California Edition information. Ill soon be calling Saleen to find out more about mine in particular. Ill keep you guys posted!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:51 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Slakkr183
Been a while since ive posted on here, i forgot my information to be honest... Anyways, in reply to the fact that i am potentially choking my engine with the e303 cam and gt40p set-up.. i could possibly understand the cam, however i do the have the heads and lower intake ported to match these gaskets( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-5835/ ) i cant be choking it to bad.. can I? Btw i appreciate All the replies and information given to me on the California Edition information. Ill soon be calling Saleen to find out more about mine in particular. Ill keep you guys posted!
Ported or not, you are seriously hampering the performance of that engine with those heads. The general school of thought is that a 347 should have a 185cc or larger head on it. You heads are probably just breaking around 155cc... thats a HUGE difference.

Please refer back to the example I posted... the 1995 Cobra R. 351w, GT-40 heads. The car was rated at 300 BHP. That's flywheel HP!

Don't bother sinking ANY money into the GT-40 heads with that build. If you want it to perform better, you need a larger head. A good example is MJR46's car. IIRC he is running AFR185cc heads, Comp Cams XE282HR, and IDK what intake, on his 347. His car turns low 11 second runs with a gearset that doesn't belong under a N/A car. All through a T5 gearbox, so you know he isn't even banging on it!

If you do a 347 with GT40P's, the average h/c/i 302 fox will embarrass you. Hell, even the Honda Fanboys will laugh at you!

Quick Reply: 1989 Mustang California Special Edition Saleen INFO??? Anyone?