5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

T5 is rebuilt -- story and a pic

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:52 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default T5 is rebuilt -- story and a pic

i dont see what the big deal was. everyone i spoke to(friends n such) all say "oh i'd never try that i hear its ridiculous" or the local speed shop a guy said "yea i use to rebuild them, they are too much of a pain, i wont do them anymore, too many pieces."

i dont see what the deal was?? i took the trans out in 2 hours.

[off topic]
if you do this make sure you have another person helping you if you dont have a trans jack. i used my regular floor jack and while i was lowering it while trying to undo the connection i dropped the trans off the jack on the floor *smacks head* but no damage thank god. but its too much of a handful trying to do it with a regular floor jack by yourself.
[/off topic]

took the car out of the garage, cleaned up. layed out some cardboard. started to dis-assemble. got it all apart down to the case in about 2 hours. made sure i laid it out in order so i could remember how to get it back together.

took about an hour to get it back together and i thought i'd test it to make sure it'd shift alright without trouble i shifted the 1/2nd gear slider up to first and the slider went so far it came off its main hub and it was all binded up.(now i understand the point of the internal and shifter stops) so i had to take the input shaft off and got the slider back on the hub and got it all back together.

i also got really lucky, there was no damage at all to any of the gears. all the edges still sharp. the only thing that was slightly messed up was revese. it was pretty galled up. but i dont care, i just know to shift into 5th before reverse so no issues there. although i did find out '92 1/2 t5 trannies had a diff synce set up for its overdrive which helps with grinding in reverse,,,,it has like an extra syncro or something. but i didnt have to deal with that.

here she sits all done(im gonna clean the case tomorrow before she goes back in.) im damn proud of myself and i hate to say it...rebulding this thing is a piece of freakin cake, i was gettin all worried for nothing. lol. now lets hope she doesnt gernade the first outing.

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 11-16-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:22 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

So you just rebuilt with no damages thats good. Wait till you open one up and see the bottom of the case filled with gear teeth and other chunks of metal lol. I have seen many of those with my brothers old 92. I am about to pick up a broke t5 when I go home at christmas so I can rebuild it and get my 5 speed swap going. They are not hard to do, just hard to remember how everything goes back if you don't pay attention.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:29 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

when i did it i laid it out on cardboard and exploded it out like those visual schematics they do. its impossible to F it up that way. it was a flawless rebuild.

it was a big surprise i had no damage, 2 grinded hard! and third was F'd up too. yet when i opened it up it looks brand spakin new. but the syncro's were JUNK! and the frictions disks on the syncros were non existant.. lol...trashed! but that was all that was wrong.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:54 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

paint that dirty thing!!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:46 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i think im just gonna powerwash it and when i pull the motor after january ill paint it. i found im leaking something, somewhere on the backside of the motor. i think its at the back of the intake but its hard to tell exactly where its leaking from since i cant see back there. plus i need a new oil pan, some jackass that owned the car before me looks like they jacked the car up of the oil pan since its dented up .
Old 11-17-2008, 11:44 AM
saleenpride1986
2nd Gear Member

lol jacked the car up on the oil pan??? What an idiot.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:57 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you're tellin me, now i gotta foot the bill to fix it.....oh well i have to pull the motor anyways to fix some rust and smooth out the engine bay....good time to fix it.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:27 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ok so i have a burning question. once i get it reinstalled im going to fill it up and take it around the block and make sure it shifts through all the gears. if it does that do i need a break in period or can i dump the clutch and smoke the tires? it shouldnt blow up right?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:42 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I would give it a few miles,maybe 100-200, just to let everything settle in and the new parts to soak in the fluid to have that constant lube feel. I had to give my 98 a few hundred miles on royal purple's fluid when I changed the clutch to keep 5th from grinding anymore. Now it is nice and smooth into all gears.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:50 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

man i hope this thing doesnt blow up on me.

Quick Reply: T5 is rebuilt -- story and a pic