5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

you guys all wanted to see it!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:47 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

looking forward to the build pics
Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

what size are your turbos lucky? havent seen you around in a long time. reltively how big is your turbo? i was so surprised to see how big this thing was. this one is about as big as a bread box.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:37 PM
gearbanger
4th Gear Member

ill be visiting this tread often. i want to see what these turbos do or nor do lol... what the estimated completion time?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:44 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

turbo, FPR, and gauge all came today. Fuel pump and injectors should be here in about a week. test tube & intercooler should be here in two weeks if the bid goes through. piping kit, bov/waste gate should be here second week in december. we'll start tinkering with the stang and plan out the pipe routing up till christmas. just after christmas the actual build should be under way and if all goes well he should be able to test drive it 2-3rd week in january. but this schedule is very tenative since he's going as cheap as possible and so far is finding killer freakin deals on all this crap. so there might be a few delays.

also he might buy my intake since he he doesnt wanna buy a new or used one and he knows mine is all nicely ported and he really likes it.so if he comes up with some cash i might sell it to him once i start my new build.

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 11-20-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:01 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
what size are your turbos lucky? havent seen you around in a long time. reltively how big is your turbo? i was so surprised to see how big this thing was. this one is about as big as a bread box.

my turbos are 57mm. 65mm seems pretty small for a single turbo setup. i wouldnt go smaller then 70mm personally but since your buddy isnt looking for crazy high hp he should be fine. expect the turbo to spool really fast because of its small size. if he has h/c/i you guys should hit 400rwhp easily even with that little turbo just make sure the tune is good

i think its funny you guys thing 65mm is huge. you should see some of the guys on turbomustangs.com they run 101mm turbos in some cases. now thats f*cking huge
Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

the guy at our local speedshop recently jumped up from a 80somethin mm turbo to a 101mm turbo. yea no kidding those things are big. he runs in the 5's in the 1/8th mile.

my buddy doesnt have an HCI, although he may buy my intake....we'll see. he just wants somethin fun and he's never had a turbo car. he's done nitrous/novi/procharger before so he want ssomething new and fairly inexpensive.

so far he has exaust, shifter, alum. drive shaft, electric fan, and 5 lug conversion /w 99 cobra wheels. and the total bill is up to 300 bucks. so far on this turbo build he's up to 500 bucks. he wants to try and get it all for under 1k which he'll be close if some of these ebay bids go through.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:56 PM
crueheadstang87
3rd Gear Member

Thats cool man. I wish i had the money to do a turbo buile1
Old 11-21-2008, 02:19 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

so far it isnt expensive...but we'll see if he can stay on track with that.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:00 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Christmas!?!? We cant wait that long, man! Ghey
Old 11-21-2008, 10:09 PM
ratrap1964
2nd Gear Member

I don't post alot so thanks 5pointohh(Kyle) for generating interest in this. Here's the specs on the car. 89 lx hatch, the motor will be stock minus parts of the fuel system and obivous stuff needed for a turbo setup. The car has 170,000 miles on it and runs great. The t5 has about 70,000 on it. The rearend will be stock with 3.08 gears. The turbo is a gt45 (made in china) that I bought off of ebay. They advertised it as a 60mm. You can google it to get the specs. The fuel system will consist of a 255lph in tank and 42Lbs injectors (will be tuned). The car has a set of JBA shorties that I am going to turn around and build the hot side for.(any suggestions on pipe size? 2 1/2 or 3) I am going to run a 3" down pipe and y into the h-pipe. As far as the cold side I am watching a intercooler now on ebay and still have to figure out what size pipe on that also. The blow off and wastgate are still a mystery as I need to do alittle more research. I'm looking for 370ish to the wheels. I'm sure this combo could make more but I'm not looking to blow it up. That may happen anyway.

As far as a timeline don't get too excited to see it done soon. I am shooting for late winter/early spring. I am very budget focused. With the crap economy any our second child due in 2 weeks I may have to scrap the project at anytime(sorry I'm a reallist).

Thanks to everyone for the interest.
Here are some pictures.

Here's the car the day I bought it.

Here it is after the 5 lug swap

Turbo w/beer

Turbo

My 4 yearold makes it look big

Quick Reply: you guys all wanted to see it!