5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Building a Drag Car questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Bansh-eman

Default Building a Drag Car questions

Ok guys help me out really fast so I do it right the first time.

Would it make sense to purchase a 93 cobra if your plans are to turn the car into a drag car from the get go? I cant see the extra cost of the car being worth spending due to the fact that pretty much every thing in the car will be taken off and changed to after market. To me it seems that buying a 5.0 LX and stripping the thing down and building it up would just make more sense. I got a buddy that is trying to tell me that I should go with a Cobra. I just dont see the point in buying a Cobra when everything thats differant about the Cobra compared to a GT is going to be taken off the car to turn it into a drag car anyhow. Am I neglecting anything that the Cobra frame /car has that a GT doesnt? Becasue the suspenion and intakes and motor and everything will get scraped. Do they come with a stronger rear end or tranny?
Old 11-17-2008, 12:36 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

they have a slightly stronger trans
Old 11-17-2008, 12:56 AM
Bansh-eman

Originally Posted by primetime5.0
they have a slightly stronger trans
ok so in the end the tranny will get tossed anyhow... so i am not loosing my mind then right? there isnt anything differant about the car structurally that would make sense to spend the money for a cobra if the car is going to be turned into a drag car in the first place"?
Old 11-17-2008, 12:59 AM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

you are correct
Old 11-17-2008, 01:28 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't butcher a 93 cobra to begin with, start out with a beat down 5.0, your swapping everything anyways
Old 11-17-2008, 01:36 AM
Bansh-eman

Originally Posted by primetime5.0
I wouldn't butcher a 93 cobra to begin with, start out with a beat down 5.0, your swapping everything anyways
I think I am going to just try and find a roller that is in very good shape and build it up. Unless I find a steal on a running 5.0 I dont even want to bother with it. I want to find a nice longblock 351 and drop in it. I got alot of research to do and nothing but time on my side so I am by no means in any rush. I am on my way to Okinawa for a year, so I got plenty of time to figure out what I want to do. And of course the ending factor will be convincing the warden to sign off on it
Old 11-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

thats a good plan. its a waste to spend all the extra money for a cobra when you just gonna get rid of all the stock parts anyway. plus its a shame to see a nice car like that gutted. ud be better off to get an lx notch cause theyre the lightest.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Bansh-eman

Originally Posted by Milton
thats a good plan. its a waste to spend all the extra money for a cobra when you just gonna get rid of all the stock parts anyway. plus its a shame to see a nice car like that gutted. ud be better off to get an lx notch cause theyre the lightest.
thats actually my plan to find a lx notch. you happen to know if there is a differance from a 4 cylinder body compaired to a 5.0? I would hate to buy a 4 cylinder body thinking i got a good deal to only spend more in the end becasue they are not the same
Old 11-17-2008, 12:31 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

even 4 cyl notches are fetching a good dollar
Old 11-17-2008, 01:05 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

^^^yes they are i have been scouting for one for a while to throw my 351w in..

Quick Reply: Building a Drag Car questions