5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Minimal Tire Pressure For M/T Radials

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 11:17 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Default Minimal Tire Pressure For M/T Radials

Whats the lowest pressure you have seen someone or yourself ever ran in a set of M/T Drag Radials? I'm at 15psi right now, and I can still break them loose from a dig. I haven't had the chance to heat them up real good and launch off of the trans brake yet, but I'm sure it would only be more violent if I did a launch off of the trans brake without heating the tires.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:29 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i used to run 15 alot, nowi run 16
QuarterHorse00
1st Gear Member

I had 325/50/15's and trapped 130 with them at 12lbs. I also BOILED the tires to get 'em to hook. I started at 20lbs and stopped at 12-13.
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I ran them at 15psi with a light burnoutm barley any smoke and they would dead hook. I probably don't have as much HP as you, but if they only spin a little, you are still good.

You can check my videos in my other post, the drag racing ones are on those tires.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:44 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

When I had them mounted, I had the guys at the tire shop stick like 25psi on them because I had alot more work to do to the car before I was ready to drive it. I told myself that I would just lower the pressure once I got it all tuned and dialed in. Well, I forgot. Went out on the highway after my wife returned with Insurance and plates and spun like I had regular radials on there. Don't get me wrong, it was trying to hook, as I could feel the car had transferred the weight and was actually moving forward fairly quickly. But I knew I had a problem when I had left my buddies exhaust shop after getting my mufflers installed and I gouged on it when I left his shop driveway and was straight in the highway, when I shifted into second it took all of about half a second I was in the other lane with traffic coming at me. The on coming traffic and me had to brake hard and I got over where I belonged and putted back home. I checked the tire psi after that and realized what the crap was happening. I lowered them to 15psi and they do hook way better now, but I can get them to spin a little. I just try and ease it out of the hole and then mash the skinny pedal. But this BullCrap about easing out of the hole just goes against all I have ever been taught about racing from my Father. I watched him for years on end at the drag strip as I was growing up and he never was easing his cars out of the hole. I remember one time we forgot the wheelie bars at home and he went ahead with his rat killing, needless to say, after about 3.5ft of clear air between the bottom of his 165R15 and the concrete, he asked his wife if she would jet back home and pick them up out of the shop. The house was 70miles one way from the track. I was just wondering if I had anything to worry about if I was to or had to drop the tire pressure below 15psi. I didn't know what the safe borderline was for these tires.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

I ran mine at 17, and worked down from there (over a couple weekends). My best time was at 15psi and a healthy burnout. Try 15 like was said, and a huge burnout. They like to be nice and snotty . Just my two cents, good luck at the track!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:31 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

DR's on the street can't/don't compare to them at the track. You will be happy
Old 11-29-2008, 09:24 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

i ran 18 on the street with mine.
i would say dont go lower than 10.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:17 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

if you go too low, they will spin on the bead
Old 11-29-2008, 01:24 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I'm just going to run them at 15psi. If I spin, I spin. If I spin on the first pass, I will make sure to roast the crap out of them the second pass. If it still spins I'll just try and foot brake it out of the gate and see where that gets me.

Quick Reply: Minimal Tire Pressure For M/T Radials