5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

New to Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Josh Bowling

Default New to Mustangs

Hello. I am new to the mustang scene. I have always liked the LTD's. I have had 2. Both with 351 cleveland motors. They were a great ride. I now have an opportunity to pick up a 82' mustang foxbody 5.0. Are there any aftermarket products for this car? Are there any blowers available for this? All the searching I have done suggest that the only blowers/superchargers that are readily available are for the 87 & newer ones.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:00 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

hell yes there are aftermarket parts for it. weiand makes a top mount blower for a carb 5.0's
Old 12-02-2008, 12:02 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

the aftermarket for these cars almost seems endless sometimes.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

I think the aftermarket is endless....

there is hundreds of companies out there that make stuff for these cars....

and the people here can help you pick the best ones, and tell you which ones to avoid outright...
Old 12-02-2008, 02:24 AM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

The aftermarket support for the foxbody is so extensive it will give you a migrain. You can find quality parts for every piece of that car easily. Blowers, Turbos, Twin Turbo's, Carb'd, EFI, 351 swaps, 460 swaps, whatever you name it.. it's easily out there.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Josh Bowling

Thanks everyone! As long as there are blowers available, that suits me just fine! That would provide more power than I'd ever need. I will go ahead and buy this car. The body is in good condition, as well as the interior. There may be an aftermarket gauge or two I will have to buy, but that's about it. Hopefully in time, one of them will be a boost gauge. I will let you know after I purchase, as I am sure it won't take long for the aftermarket excitement to kick in.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:20 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Josh Bowling
Thanks everyone! As long as there are blowers available, that suits me just fine! That would provide more power than I'd ever need. I will go ahead and buy this car. The body is in good condition, as well as the interior. There may be an aftermarket gauge or two I will have to buy, but that's about it. Hopefully in time, one of them will be a boost gauge. I will let you know after I purchase, as I am sure it won't take long for the aftermarket excitement to kick in.

Thanks!
Nice! Come back and show us pictures. I'm curious for sure. These cars respond very well to blowers so you'll be perfectly fine.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

If your going to bolt up a SC(blower), I'd look for a '89-'92 (forged pistons) 5L since it comes with factory Mass-Air ('87-'88 speed density, except Ca in '88)...I would go with a Vortech S-Trim with about 8-10# boost & build off of that...

The sky the limit on your "wallet" as far as aftermarket parts on a Fox body! Good luck!

Last edited by Timspony; 12-02-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:01 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timspony
If your going to bolt uo a SC(blower), I'd look for a '89-'92 (forged pistons) 5L since it comes with factory Mass-Air ('87-'88 speed density, except Ca in '88)...I would go with a Vortech S-Trim with about 8-10# boost & build off of that...

The sky the limit on your "wallet" as far as aftermarket parts on a Fox body! Good luck!
dont get a aero nose.... 4 EYE FTW!!! haha
Old 12-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Josh Bowling

Originally Posted by timspony
If your going to bolt up a SC(blower), I'd look for a '89-'92 (forged pistons) 5L since it comes with factory Mass-Air ('87-'88 speed density, except Ca in '88)...I would go with a Vortech S-Trim with about 8-10# boost & build off of that...

Well, I am going to have to stick to the 82 5.0. I am getting in for next to nothing. Every time I view a supercharger site for these cars, it seems they are only available 87 & up. Is that when they went from carb to efi? Heck, I've checked Edelbrock, Vortec, Holley, and some others and can't find a blower for a 302 carb. Maybe it is just best to put a 351 cleveland in it for the future. I imagine a 302 with a blower would be faster though.

Quick Reply: New to Mustangs