5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Spring question!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:13 PM
gearbanger
4th Gear Member

Default Spring question!

What happens when you put too strong of a spring on the head?a guy was telling me that the springs that i have might be to strong and it might calaps (sp) the lifters?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:23 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

are your afr 185's the older version with dual .550 lift springs or newer version dual .600 springs or are they different

also what cam are u going to run and is it a hyd. or solid as a solid cam and not the right spring would make the spring collapse
Old 12-05-2008, 12:12 AM
gearbanger
4th Gear Member

im not sure what the spring rate on the heads are. dont know if they are older or newer. the cam im getting is a hyd. they guy is testing out the springs on the head and the after market ones i got.... they guy didnt say anything about a spring callapsing. he said the lifter's might..
Old 12-05-2008, 09:27 AM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

When you buy a cam you SHOULD buy new lifters. Also your cam will tell you what pressure spring you need and maybe even a part number of springs they recommend.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

While opinions vary greatly on this subject it has been MY experiance that very high spring pressure on a hyd roller cam will collaspe the lifter and in some cases destroy the lifter and cam from lifter hop. At the very least it will cause the lifter to float early in the rpm range. Not knowing what springs you have or the pressure they have is a dangerous thing for your engine. The last thing you want to do is bring your spring into coil bind so the spring needs to match the cam and the intalled height needs to be checked along with making sure the retainer doesn't hit the valve seal at max lift. Comp Cams has whats called a beehive spring. In MY experiance it works great on street hyd roller cams. It causes less valve train harmonics and allows higher RPM. It also allows more valve lift before coil bind than a conventional spring does. The Beehive spring has an Ovate wire and has a progressive rate. It doesn't require a inner spring or damper. The OEM lactched onto the idea some years back.

This subject is not up to debate and is only my opinion based on years of experiance and is soley my opinion wheather it be right or wrong.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:20 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

You can take your springs to a machine shop and they can check the pressure so you see if it will be suitable for your setup.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
While opinions vary greatly on this subject it has been MY experiance that very high spring pressure on a hyd roller cam will collaspe the lifter and in some cases destroy the lifter and cam from lifter hop. At the very least it will cause the lifter to float early in the rpm range. Not knowing what springs you have or the pressure they have is a dangerous thing for your engine. The last thing you want to do is bring your spring into coil bind so the spring needs to match the cam and the intalled height needs to be checked along with making sure the retainer doesn't hit the valve seal at max lift. Comp Cams has whats called a beehive spring. In MY experiance it works great on street hyd roller cams. It causes less valve train harmonics and allows higher RPM. It also allows more valve lift before coil bind than a conventional spring does. The Beehive spring has an Ovate wire and has a progressive rate. It doesn't require a inner spring or damper. The OEM lactched onto the idea some years back.

This subject is not up to debate and is only my opinion based on years of experiance and is soley my opinion wheather it be right or wrong.
I guess the end of any type of tech discussions has finally shown....... since no other EXPERIENCE is acceptable, you guys might want to check what a spintron durability test at Crane Cams provided as results = http://www.cranecams.com/?show=newsLetters&no=425

Old 12-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Gearbanger, you may want to check this out. Read what Joe Sherman had to say about Beehive springs.

http://www.performanceproductreview....06/Beehive.pdf
Old 12-05-2008, 07:39 PM
gearbanger
4th Gear Member

thanks portmaster!! this is the hardest part trying to get the correct cam for my set up.. i might have to sell my anderson high rev valve springs.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gearbanger
thanks portmaster!! this is the hardest part trying to get the correct cam for my set up.. i might have to sell my anderson high rev valve springs.
I really like these springs in street/strip cars. It a real world solution for the working stiff trying to do it themselves and keep the car durable. I've used them for about 3 years now and not a single failure.

Quick Reply: Spring question!