5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Need some good tools...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:41 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cleanfitty
IMO the new craftsman screwdrivers suck bad. The older ones were much better... but the worst part of them is the smell of the handles.

They kindof have that "behind the ear" funk. Throw them in a tool box, open it up a week later and the smell hits you.
Yeah craftsman screwdrivers are junk and they do stink lol. Snap-on's are nice but a set of craftsman screwdrivers might make a payment on one snap-on but you do get what you pay for.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

IMO the new craftsman screwdrivers suck bad. The older ones were much better... but the worst part of them is the smell of the handles.

They kindof have that "behind the ear" funk. Throw them in a tool box, open it up a week later and the smell hits you.
Yeah they do but always have, I had a set of Craftsman nut drivers from back in the 70's They stunk up the drawer they were in. I left them in a parts washer for a few days and that smell went away. now they smell like someone threw a dog in the parts washer. I don't think who ever came up with the chemical for those things ever intended for them to be closed up in a tight space. The Craftsman Pro line are OK. Good feeling handles
Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nasty90
Portmaster, you may need to seek the help of a professional. I have to agree Craftsman stuff is best dollor for dollor. but like i said Husky has a better line thats not bad at all the only thing i have broken is a pair of channel locks. Their junk for sure. and doesnt snap-on make colbolt?
Husky is now just another division of Stanley Tools. Thats not a bad thing but they don't put the care in stuff like they use to. The old USA built Husky stuff was well made but the new stuff is kind of iffy. Now it seems like everyone is having there tools built in China, Tiwan or Idontgiveadamnistan. At the very start Snap-On was building some Kobalt but they pulled out a few years back. back in the 70's Craftsman outsorced their tool line to Japan. That lasted about a year when Customers wouldn't acccpt Japan replacements for their USA built tools. It almost sent Craftsman over the edge. They went back to building the in the US and those people that bought the Japan versions were returning them for the Made in the USA versions.

I try not to buy any tools that come out of China. When I buy Chinese Tools, in 30 minutes I feel the need to buy more.lol
Old 12-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

Stuff made in Japan is usually pretty decent quality. MUCH better than Taiwan or China crap.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:24 PM
83glx5.0
2nd Gear Member

Of course Snap on and Mac are great, but craftsman can be OK as well. Their full polish proffessional wrenches are the only way to go (the entire set is about 100 for each of SAE and Metric) so about $200 vs. $1200 for Snap on.
Craftsman sockets are pretty good, but the ratchets blow.
And one that is often overlooked is Powerbuilt. They are great tools. Unfortuantley they are migrating from being made in Tiawan to being made in China, but you can still find the tiawan stuff readily available.

Woo Hoo!!! 1000 posts!!!
+1

I use craftsman, the ratches kinda suck but ive got a 1/4 and 3/8ths snap on that i use. And then the most important tool ever, 1/2 breaker bar
Old 12-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

The home garage ratchet line up, lol

Old 12-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Touch these and youre dead meat, lol When the wifes away these come over for a foursome

Old 12-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

Please tell me you didnt line those up just for this thread. LOL
Old 12-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rajun_Cajun
Please tell me you didnt line those up just for this thread. LOL
No not really. I was in another coversation about favorite ratchets and I was out shooting photos for homeownwers insurance so I snaped of a few with three favorites for another tool discussion over "Your favorite ratchets"
Old 12-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

Hows this look to start off with?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...nics+Tool+Sets

Quick Reply: Need some good tools...