5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Tranny Swap Issues 88 GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:53 PM
tedallen

Default Tranny Swap Issues 88 GT

I have just swapped out my old AOD transmission and installed a T-5 in it's place. The installation went very well and we had all completed in about 8 hours. Everything seemed fine and new tranny and clutch are working great (both were installed from another GT - 89) - however, just 15-20 miles from my mechanic shop I heard a loud snap - and lost my clutch pedal. Turns out the NEW clutch cable housing broke right where it goes through the holding hole in the flywheel bell housing right before where the cable end links through the tranny throwout arm (or whatever these things are called).

I have now gone through 4 clutch cables in the past 48 hours and still have no clue what is causing this to keep happening. Need it fixed yesterday. Please help advise if you have experienced this or have any suggestions. Feel free to send me email reply if you like.

On the upside - the tranny and clutch are working well and much more fun to drive - just need to figure out this d@#n clutch cable problem.

Ted mlmpro@hotmail.com
Old 12-08-2008, 11:15 PM
nasty90
2nd Gear Member

Are you sure you routing it correctly? and dont have it adjusted to tight. I cant think of any other reason for it to snap like that.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:36 PM
tedallen

Originally Posted by nasty90
Are you sure you routing it correctly? and dont have it adjusted to tight. I cant think of any other reason for it to snap like that.
what do you mean by "routing it correctly?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:42 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tedallen
what do you mean by "routing it correctly?
not too sharp of a curve and away from the header, also are you using OEM or aftermarket cables?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:30 PM
nasty90
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86 5.0L
not too sharp of a curve and away from the header, also are you using OEM or aftermarket cables?

YEA, what he said.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:44 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Be careful to not kink the cable. Be sure it is adjusted properly.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:38 PM
tedallen

Originally Posted by 86 5.0L

*Been using aftermarket cables which are $29 from Autozone. Went to local FORD dealer who wanted $189 for the OEM Clutch cable!! Can you believe this? There can't be that much difference can there? FORD would not even tell me the size or difference between theirs and the aftermarket ones.

What is your experience or recommendation?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:12 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

well then I found your problem, those cheap cables....

maximum motorsports.com, look for the OEM cable on there and they have the cable cheaper and with an explanation why they are the best
Old 12-10-2008, 03:14 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

MM Universal Ford OEM Clutch Cable!

We have done a lot of research on clutch cables, buying and testing almost every different cable on the market we could find. We have found after all this investigation, that the OEM Ford Clutch Cables are the best quality cables available. They have a multi-material, layered construction that provides better heat, friction and collapsibility protection than all the aftermarket cables we dissected. With that in mind, we have begun selling all year ranges of factory cables, for those customers that demand a cable that will last. We have developed a clutch adjustment package that will work with all OEM Ford cables. Our Quadrant, firewall package will allow the use of all OEM Ford cables (and adjustable cables, too), however the cables all require some minor modifications.

We also sell a package with the MM Universal Ford OEM cable, which comes with all the parts you need to install a Ford quality cable with an aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster, that requires no additional cable modifications. This universal cable will provide more header clearance, and therefore even better heat protection, than any other cable we have found, including the 5.0 liter engine OEM Ford cables!! This cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster can be the answer to all your clutch cable problems! We have also discontinued selling adjustable clutch cables due to the poor quality and repeated returns we have experienced. Based on our research and ongoing testing, OEM Ford cables are the only solution to clutch cable problems.

The photo below compares the construction of an aftermarket clutch cable (upper cable) and an OEM Ford cable (lower cable). Note that Ford utilizes a multi layer construction which helps prevent heat from affecting the sliding action of the inner cable or causing a compression failure of the outer housing, while still allowing the cable to be sufficiently flexible. While we have looked at the construction of many aftermarket cables, none have had a construction that can compare to the quality of the OEM Ford cables.

here you go