5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Supercharger or Turbocharger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Chuckles_5.0
2nd Gear Member

so basicly if you want to have more fun you buy a roots/twinscrew.
If you want to be faster you buy a turbo.

thats the super simple version that I have gotten out of all of this.

I think I would go with a s/c, but then again I plan on keeping my baby n/a this time around.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:36 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
For the most part I agree with that. But depending on setup, you can have a fair bit of low speed leakdown with a roots or screw(if the blower is large for the engine) and lose some boost response as a result, and you can have a pair of very small turbos with a tiny a/r ratio that can respond quickly at very low rpm(but would be too small to make best top end power).

I like roots myself for their simplicity, but I wish more companies would start investing some technology into them. Most of them aren't as efficient as they could be.
Older roots superchargers had a little bit of leakdown on high & low. Eaton started using teflon coating in the early/mid 90's to make the tolerances even tighter which is the main reason there's a short break in period on them. Some companies still don't use the coating, some still are running straight rotors aswell. If you're comparing the older designs or the companies that design them poorly then you may as well do the same to the companies that can't built turbos well or compare them to the older turbo designs that had horrid lag time on them due to the heavier rotating assembly weight.

If small turbo's are your thing, then by all means use them. I prefer turbos sized a bit on the large size for multiple reasons, but either way you're not going to get rid of lag even if you have a tiny turbo.

Originally Posted by redpony88
i like turbo's better, although i love the s/c whine. the blowoff sound is cool in my book.
also if you've ever watched turbo 5.0 vids the turbos have little to no lag time, we have 8 cyl pushin the turbo not 4
i myself am gonna get a turbo kit for my 95.
Turbo 5.0's have a near identical lag time as 4 cylinder, keep in mind most 4 cylinders turn higher rpm from the factory so they're generally fitted with a pretty big turbo & keep in mind you can't compare an aftermarket turbo kit on a v8 to a stock turbo kit that is poorly designed. While they are using 8 cylinders to push 1 turbo (if single kit) the turbo is larger.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:28 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

i prefer superchargers.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Detroit Style
1st Gear Member

The bigger thing to look at once you get past the budget is this. Are you looking for a street car that sees the track once in a while, or a track car that sees the street once in a while.

Street car=Blower
Track car= Turbo

Its the same logic as having a manual for a street car, its just more fun on a day to day level.

Now, I have yet to see a turbo car with a turbo that is small enough to have next to no lag. Just for the fact everyone wants the power up top. Thus, larger hot sides and more lag.

Turbos will make more power, be more efficient yet, remember there are trade offs to getting that big turbo to make big numbers. If you want a turbo car and nothing else, get a hold of companies such as Turbonetics, they will set you up with a turbo based on your set up and needs. So, it will be fun to drive, with power on demand.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:33 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

The single turbos on most Mustangs are not big enough to where they cause a lot of lag, and because you run all the exhaust through that one I've heard its not bad at all. I do not have personal experience but I can tell you it's not going to be like a 1000whp single turbo Supra.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:25 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Detroit Style
The bigger thing to look at once you get past the budget is this. Are you looking for a street car that sees the track once in a while, or a track car that sees the street once in a while.

Street car=Blower
Track car= Turbo

Its the same logic as having a manual for a street car, its just more fun on a day to day level.
It's more a difference of opinion. I've had some people prefer turbo over a positive displacement s/c & likewise some that prefer the feel of the s/c. Some like the feeling of when the turbo starts to spool, some like the instant power. I personally prefer positive displacement superchargers for a fun car because of the instant power, but then again when it comes to my personal cars I find a reason to go the turbo route. For most people I would say a s/c is better suited for reliability reasons, but all the same if you keep up with maintenance & let the car get up to operating temp/allow proper cooling time after hard runs a turbo may outlast the engine... but most people don't & I've seen some pretty ugly looking internal components on turbos because of it. I'm referring to journal bearing turbos though, I can't say the same for ball bearing ones. I haven't built any bb turbo kits, but a couple of the people I talk to don't think too highly of them in reliability. I personally don't know from experience.
Originally Posted by OnyxCobra
The single turbos on most Mustangs are not big enough to where they cause a lot of lag, and because you run all the exhaust through that one I've heard its not bad at all. I do not have personal experience but I can tell you it's not going to be like a 1000whp single turbo Supra.
There isn't a lot of lag even on the newer big ones but it's still there small or big. A single larger turbo will have more lag than two smaller ones due to the higher inertia of the single vs two smaller. The upside to a single is that they are generally more efficient but again here you have a downside, single kits will have a worse before turbo exhaust system design. Personally I prefer building twin kits over single because of the crossover pipe. The biggest problem I have is routing the plumbing; on top of this crossover pipes get very hot & because of the thermal expansion will sometimes cause cracked exhaust plumbing, keep in mind in some cases the crossover pipe can expand to around 3/4" in some cases & with that much of a lengthening in the piping it puts quite a bit of stress on things, at a point something has to give... it comes down to the block or the exhaust & obviously the exhaust is the weaker of the two. A flex joint in the crossover helps in this part. Then you have to consider the exhaust gas cooling over the length of the pipe which makes exhaust gasses denser causing efficiency to go down aswell as bends. Exhaust plumbing design (both before & after turbo) plays a very big role on performance on turbo cars which I'm sure you've noticed. On inline engines like the I6 or I4 you don't have to worry about a crossover pipe so efficiency doesn't take a hit because of it.

Of the turbo companies & people that put the most research into it, most will favor the twins for a road or drag race setup. A garrett technician also said that a single turbo is more efficient than two singles & while that is true keep in mind that's not considering the factors of the engine & exhaust setup.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

I want to chime in and ramble please allow me to be a little picky for a second! When asking if turbo or supercharged I smile because the question you are asking is really 'what type of supercharger OR supercharging would you recommend that i use' your parameters are *not n/a*
for example my 62 corvair is turbo supercharged, makes sense the turbo is the type of supercharger... the type of *not n/a* it says so in its manuals and when looking up in my dictionary/encyclopedia supercharging is general meaning over normal atm. I know people use "bling rims" instead of wheels even though the "rim of a wheel" and a "wheel" are different and the one that makes me laugh the most is "posi" is used for EVERYTHING even though a registered GM trademark for their LSD, ford uses trac-loc I know I know I just had to ramble and I apologize!

I would love to go for my street/fun/bracket car a simple single turbo but I never have found a legal kit, the only turbo legal 5.0 kit I have ever heard of is the defunct Incon Twin Turbo Kit,
http://members.tripod.com/tomak3/page5.html
you have to cut the body/engine bay and it IS two of them HOWEVER "You don't have to relocate your battery and your stock H-pipe bolts right up" which is a plus... If you can find the kits. I have been looking at the two new "Paxton Self-Lubricating Centrifugal Supercharger"
http://www.motorator.com/blog/hot-ro...l-supercharger

anyways those are my two favroite choices and I dont meant to offend with my ramblings but just bring up a point for a gag-and-smile ok
Old 12-20-2008, 12:48 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hamutoff
I want to chime in and ramble please allow me to be a little picky for a second! When asking if turbo or supercharged I smile because the question you are asking is really 'what type of supercharger OR supercharging would you recommend that i use' your parameters are *not n/a*
for example my 62 corvair is turbo supercharged, makes sense the turbo is the type of supercharger... the type of *not n/a* it says so in its manuals and when looking up in my dictionary/encyclopedia supercharging is general meaning over normal atm. I know people use "bling rims" instead of wheels even though the "rim of a wheel" and a "wheel" are different and the one that makes me laugh the most is "posi" is used for EVERYTHING even though a registered GM trademark for their LSD, ford uses trac-loc I know I know I just had to ramble and I apologize!

I would love to go for my street/fun/bracket car a simple single turbo but I never have found a legal kit, the only turbo legal 5.0 kit I have ever heard of is the defunct Incon Twin Turbo Kit,
http://members.tripod.com/tomak3/page5.html
you have to cut the body/engine bay and it IS two of them HOWEVER "You don't have to relocate your battery and your stock H-pipe bolts right up" which is a plus... If you can find the kits. I have been looking at the two new "Paxton Self-Lubricating Centrifugal Supercharger"
http://www.motorator.com/blog/hot-ro...l-supercharger

anyways those are my two favroite choices and I dont meant to offend with my ramblings but just bring up a point for a gag-and-smile ok

many turbo kits are street legal, just not in here in CA where we have a visual and a sniffer test. some states just check to see if you have any codes and if you dont, you pass.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
. some states just check to see if you have any codes and if you dont, you pass.
only on 96 and above that criteria applies where the vehicle is obdII pre obd II require a treadmill test here and in most other states a tail pipe output test or however the IM240 TEST IS WORDED per state
Old 12-20-2008, 08:31 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
only on 96 and above that criteria applies where the vehicle is obdII pre obd II require a treadmill test here and in most other states a tail pipe output test or however the IM240 TEST IS WORDED per state
aahh i see. the only thing i know about smog testing is that a couple bills and my car passes with flying colors LOL

Quick Reply: Supercharger or Turbocharger?