5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 12:36 PM
NastyNate65

Default Vibration problem

So i just put a new 5 speed trannsmission, clutch, and flywheel in my 91 mustang 5.0 and now whenever I go over 60mph the shifter vibrates pretty bad, but it gets worse when I take it out of gear and let it coast when cruising on the highway. If you have any actual knowledge of what was going on please let me know. I was wondering if I bought an aluminum driveshaft if this would help with the vibration. Thanks.

-Nate
Old 12-14-2008, 01:10 PM
ratrap1964
2nd Gear Member

Did you mark the driveshaft before removal? Have you checked the u-joints? When you say new transmission what do you mean? Its possible its in the tranny. I would not start throwing parts at it until you figure out the problem.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

It's important to mark the driveshaft before removal! ...could be a bad u-joint ...vibration in the steering wheel or seat?
Old 12-14-2008, 01:48 PM
NastyNate65

The transmission was completely rebuilt by a guy in Kansas City who has a shop called Dan's T-5 Shop. He only rebuilds world class T-5 trannys and he is very good at it. He does 30-50 a year. I trust the transmission but not so much the driveshaft. No, I did not mark the driveshaft when I removed it, so is there any way for me to put it back on in the right position? And what do you mean by check the u-joints? And there is no vibration in the steering wheel, but there is a little in the seat, because some of the vibration feels like it is coming from the rear of the car.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:22 PM
ratrap1964
2nd Gear Member

You will just have rotate the driveshaft on the pinion yoke. I would mark it (you can use whiteout or nail polish if you don't have a paint marker) and remember which way you rotated it. Drive it and see how it is. You have 3 chances to get it right.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I'd try just backing off on the U-Joint flange bolts and then torquing them down evenly. Lots of people crank down on the first bolt and then do the others resulting in a flange that isn't seated just right. It cost nothing but about 10 minutes of your time.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:46 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

wtf does marking the driveshaft do? I've never done it
Old 12-14-2008, 06:59 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

why does everyone say you need to mark the driveshaft but when I asked why no one can tell me
Old 12-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangsneverdie
why does everyone say you need to mark the driveshaft but when I asked why no one can tell me
On a car that has the original driveshaft or one I disassemble I mark the location of the shaft with a yellow marker like they use at the salvage yards. I just like to put stuff back like I found it just for that extra security.

On a two peice driveshaft it is important to index the two shafts but on a 1 peice shaft if doesn't make a differance. The driveshaft is balanced before it goes in the car not while it's in there. If you can take a driveshaft from one vehicle to the next and order a new driveshaft that has never been in anything there is nothing wrong with changing the position.

If the need for marking the shaft was there you would be in a world of hurt during a gear change. I just mark the flange because my customers didn't want to pay me extra to wire brush the flange.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:45 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

marking the driveshaft on a one piece unit is often fro just piece of mind, cause what happens when you buy a new one such as an aluminum one, will it matter?? hmmm often hasn't for me but I always try and keep the old one marked , just incase a prob arises...............as for the vibration, when did it all start?? are the tires balanced properly???

Quick Reply: Vibration problem