5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Anybody have same cam as me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 04:05 AM
5.0 EFI MAN

Default Anybody have same cam as me?

I have the crane cam part #444221 with 216/220 lift and 270/278 duration. Havent got my car started and I would like to know how the cam performs. How does it sound. I understang it differs with exhaust and intake but is it lopey chopey let me know thanks
Old 12-19-2008, 05:21 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

It has a mild chop, lots of mid range power. Nice street cam. Stick with 1.6 ratio rockers on that cam
Old 12-20-2008, 01:31 AM
5.0 EFI MAN

Hey thanks, I was hoping for a more aggressive cam but options are scarce for a low budget build!! And this is the first motor ive ever built for myself so didnt exactly no what I was buying
Old 12-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0 EFI MAN
Hey thanks, I was hoping for a more aggressive cam but options are scarce for a low budget build!! And this is the first motor ive ever built for myself so didnt exactly no what I was buying
On a low budget build it's better to stay away from a really aggressive cam is you need high flowing heads to take advantage of the aggressive cam profile. The cam has a good bit of lift so 1.7 rockers wouldn't be any advantage and only add stress to valve springs for nothing. The lower duration and wider lobe seperation will make it better for your cars computer to optimize it power. It's better to have a little lope and some broad midrage power than to have a big thumping cam you can't tune and makes almost no power at all. It won't shake the glass out of the car but you will know it's it's in there sitting at idle and when it sit's you back in the seat. Congrats on you first build. You will be a certified Hot Rodder after that.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:38 AM
5.0 EFI MAN

ha yeah as far as flow goes I put bigger valves, cant remember exact size, tried to port and polish, only did minor work, and the bbk big cold air intake, bbbk equal shorties, and holley 80 mm throttle body and egr spacer, plan is to get kenne bell supercharger so havent changed intake mainifold also afr alluminum heads. Dad told me I no I got a hotrod when im pushing close to 375, I figure after all my tricks and mods ill be close to 300. Dont know for sure. Thanks though on the cam details. Im going to her it first run open header, thats all I own, so I hop to notice a cam in there and I had the worst time hunting for a cam just choosing between nasty lope and drive ability.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:38 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I'm a huge fan of a big nasty lope but not at the cost of power. Ig you want a big nasty thumping cam put a carb on it, get rid of the power brakes. I had a guy yesterday morning come by my house. Had a 78 Camaro with a small block and a huge thimping cam. It sounded incredible. He went to leave and that thing wouldn't spin a wheel in the dirt. I could have outrun that thing with my 95 Chevy 1500 V6 Shop truck and it's sloooow
Old 12-22-2008, 09:47 PM
5.0 EFI MAN

Ha yeah lot of times people by high rpm cams to get the bad idle sound and turns out they dont have many opportunities to get to those rpms! well talk to exauhst shop about installing some good sounding mufflers and and nice tips. Five hundred dollars, think ill build it myself. Well my bbk cold air intake arrived today and im rather pleased with it.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:55 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

for an extra 30-40 beans a custom cam can be designed that'll give you the best of both world and not sacrifice power, I just got done purchasing a custom cam and it was well worth the extra cost
Old 12-22-2008, 10:02 PM
5.0 EFI MAN

Well as I earlier stated I really have no experience for comparison. I actually dont know where to go to get a custom ground cam and I do believe I'd like to wait for the kenne bell supercharger to purchase a cam made specific to my engine.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:09 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

well that's a good idea to wait until you have the whole combo thought out

Quick Reply: Anybody have same cam as me?