5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

How much is my coupe worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 AM
roostracing
3rd Gear Member

i have over $8500 in it...i am not asking $8,500...i am losing a good 2k's at least. Coupes are hard to find these days ESPECIALLY clean ones. If someone came with 5k's i will not take it...in fact i wouldnt even consider it...i dont need to sell it and thats the beauty of it...i have owned over 15 cars...i have lost on all of them EXCEPT for one. I have had all of them decked out with performance parts, built suspensions, and of course streetable. I know that i am going to lose money. Thats just the way it goes. I paid $3500 for mine and i thought that was a hell of a deal. 100% unmolested. I wouldve paid 5k for it. I think just about anyone out there looking for a coupe wouldve paid 5K for it. THEN to spend some good $$$ to get it where its at performance wise??? Regardless, i think this is a deal for what the car is, what the car has, and what it can be. Ive seen them sell for this price with alot less stuff than i have. I am definately not a greedy person and am certainly not trying to rip anyone off. It is not a RARE car. It is a car that a whole lot of racers want. Including me! lol I have on the market to see if it will go. If not, i'll mod it some more and get it where i want it to be. This is just like the point of no return...if i mod it anymore i wont get what i want and i'll lose more money....and i'm not trying to get my LABOR money out of it either...thats why i said i have over $8500 in it NOT including labor
Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

When I gave the 22,000 dollars I figured for my car I didn't include the hundreds of man hours I have in the car. I prob have 150 hours in it now with another 150 left to go and if I was charging myself my normal 75 dollar per hour rate thats another 22,500 dollars. I might have to hold out for 10,000, lol
Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 AM
roostracing
3rd Gear Member

you know...i dont think the price is the problem...i think what is gonna be the deciding factor is the locality of where i am at...finding someone who lives close enough to come see it vs someone looking at the post from the other side of the country lol
Old 01-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by roostracing
i have over $8500 in it...i am not asking $8,500...i am losing a good 2k's at least. Coupes are hard to find these days ESPECIALLY clean ones. If someone came with 5k's i will not take it...in fact i wouldnt even consider it...i dont need to sell it and thats the beauty of it...i have owned over 15 cars...i have lost on all of them EXCEPT for one. I have had all of them decked out with performance parts, built suspensions, and of course streetable. I know that i am going to lose money. Thats just the way it goes. I paid $3500 for mine and i thought that was a hell of a deal. 100% unmolested. I wouldve paid 5k for it. I think just about anyone out there looking for a coupe wouldve paid 5K for it. THEN to spend some good $$$ to get it where its at performance wise??? Regardless, i think this is a deal for what the car is, what the car has, and what it can be. Ive seen them sell for this price with alot less stuff than i have. I am definately not a greedy person and am certainly not trying to rip anyone off. It is not a RARE car. It is a car that a whole lot of racers want. Including me! lol I have on the market to see if it will go. If not, i'll mod it some more and get it where i want it to be. This is just like the point of no return...if i mod it anymore i wont get what i want and i'll lose more money....and i'm not trying to get my LABOR money out of it either...thats why i said i have over $8500 in it NOT including labor
The fact is that this is your car and you know more about it than any of us do. Just remember this, Unless you catch a young kid with a pocket full of money and doesn't know any better Your add on performance parts decrease the value of your car. In most cases I always save all the stock parts on my cars so when I get ready to sell or trade I return them back to stock so the resale or trade-in value will be greater and then I ebay then ebay the performance parts and come out OK. Nobody thinks youre trying to rip anyone off but just giving you the realistic scoop.

Clean Coupes are not rare. They are plentiful and cheap as far as cars go. Thats what makes them appealing to drag racers just like Novas were in the 70's. There is nothing rare about a Fox Mustang Coupe. It's one of the reasons I picked one to use as a platform. I executed a 85 4 eyed SSP coupe with manual windows and lock (rare on any SSP car) with a near perfect body and nice drivetrain to build the car I have now. I paid 2800 dollars for the car and drove it home with no issues, it had no sunroof, nice paint, no rust and everything worked and low miles. It's what just about what any Mustang drag racer wants and I bought it off Ebay where there are no lack of buyers and before the economy went in the toilet. I find clean coupes all the time. I bought a 89 Coupe (Nice body, interior rough) that had a 351 Cleveland, lots of performance parts, C4 8.8 rear. I put a battery in the car and drove it to my shop. $800 dollars. I turned it over in 2 days for 2000 dollars. I have a 92(?) clean 4 cyl Coupe Roller body. I paid 125 dollars for it. No engine, no trans and 7.5 rear but THATS what drag racers look for. A cheap roller that they can cut up. I doubt you find a drag racer that will dump 6500 dollars into a car that will be used for a drag car.

If you want to get the maximum amount of money for your car put as many of the stock parts back on it as possible. Detail the car and make sure it has real nice tread on the tires (This is a HUGE selling point) and throw it up for sale on ebay. Then take the performance parts and ebay them as well.

Any time I sell one of my vehicles of any value one of the things I always do is have a fresh set of tires installed. People see those new tires and they know you care about the car. It can make the differance between you getting 12000 dollars for a car and getting 9000 dolars for it. If the A/C works, Power windows work and is clean that car will bring the money. I've been car dealing for a long long time and know what it takes to sell a car. I have a 95 Chev W/T (work truck) thats Plain Jane as they come. I bought the truck while I was in Navada back about 5 years ago. It was a Navada Power fleet vehicle. The paint is all that great and has lots of light scatches in it. I bought it to use as a shop truck. I cleaned it up and gave it a good buffing, threw a bedliner in it, some inexpensive aluminum wheels (American Racing Baja) and a really nice set of Bridgestone Destination tires on it and a set of cheap Chrome rails (60 dollars) 39 dollar wheel trim and 5 dollar Kylon grille treatment and I have people try to buy that truck everytime I go somewhere in it. I paid 1500 dollars for it at auction. I've turned down 4500+ for it at least a dozen times. It has a bone stock 4.3 and still has the factory exhaust on it. I have about 3000 dollars total in the truck but stock sells. I could put a 502/502 in it with a 4L80E and 12 bolt rear and I doubt I could get 6000 for it. Here is a photo of the truck. It doesnt get much more plain that this. It's my daily driver to keep miles off my F-150 4X4 (not to mention it knocks off 22mpg).

The day after I got back from Nevada with it. 1500 for this one. I would have purchaced a few more had I had drivers for them. I wasn't real confident of those 4.3s towing another one through the mountians

Last edited by Portmaster; 01-13-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:50 AM
roostracing
3rd Gear Member

ok...i said my car was NOT rare...i said a clean coupe is hard to find...they are...THERE ARE BUNCHES of 4 cyl coupes all over the place...plenty of them not running...i'm talking about a 5.0 factory coupe...

i dont need a little snot nose kid to come with a pocket full of money who "supposely" doesnt know any better...

these cars sell...it may not be to you but it will eventually...the market sucks now

i wanted an original 5.0 coupe...i found it...i made it better...and if it sells it sells...if it doesnt then oh well...
Old 01-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Rootsracing - don't worry! ...spring is coming & Coupes are very popular! ...Nice clean Fox's (Coupes being the hotest selling) will bring in big $$$...Your car WILL SELL!

I sold my 1991 GT in 2007 with 23k miles...modified pretty heavy...for $17k ...but my car was like new and I purchased it new! ....saw only 9 rainy days! ...never thought I'd get my asking $$$, but I did!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:10 PM
roostracing
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by timspony
Rootsracing - don't worry! ...spring is coming & Coupes are very popular! ...Nice clean Fox's (Coupes being the hotest selling) will bring in big $$$...Your car WILL SELL!

I sold my 1991 GT in 2007 with 23k miles...modified pretty heavy...for $17k ...but my car was like new and I purchased it new! ....saw only 9 rainy days! ...never thought I'd get my asking $$$, but I did!
thanks man! I think you and I are on the same sheet of music here...income tax is coming around so lets see what happens...if not...i'll finish up the suspension mods and throw some skinnies on there and see what it runs...price will go up of course lol

I only put this on 2 boards...if i really wanted to push it i'd put locally in the paper and a couple of racing boards...just rather sell it and not have to see it driving around here locally lol
Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by roostracing
ok...i said my car was NOT rare...i said a clean coupe is hard to find...they are...THERE ARE BUNCHES of 4 cyl coupes all over the place...plenty of them not running...i'm talking about a 5.0 factory coupe...

i dont need a little snot nose kid to come with a pocket full of money who "supposely" doesnt know any better...

these cars sell...it may not be to you but it will eventually...the market sucks now

i wanted an original 5.0 coupe...i found it...i made it better...and if it sells it sells...if it doesnt then oh well...
Calm down there Hot Rod, lol. Sorry but Nice clean coupes are easy to find if you have the cash to buy one. The 4 cyl coupes are what DRAG racers look for because they are cheap. If you are building a drag car it doesnt matter what came in it.

The people that I see buy other peoples hot rods are younger buyers looking for a fast car. People who know how to build like to buy a clean stock car and do their own mods. I didn't say a thing about "snot nosed kids" I have a lot of respect for younger buyers especially having 11 kids of my own along with a lot of my grandkids now driving.

That said you asked the question of what your car was worth. Sorry you got offended by the answers but that the way it goes. If you hold out chances are you will get what you want. The truth of the matter a car is only worth what the higgest bidder is willing to pay for it. Most people assume when they open the hood and see a handful of mods that the car has been beat on and thats normally very true. They open the hood and see all stock stuff and it reprsents a car that has been taken care of and cared for well. Survivors bring good money. Thats just the way it is wheather you want to hear it or not.

My suggestion is next time you want to ask a question be ready for the truth. If you want someone to blow smoke up your rectum thats a job better done by your friends.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timspony

Show him a picture of your car. One owner as well. Thats a super nice example
Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Portmaster - Coupes paying a Premium(!!) around here!!

Pics of the 91 GT....
Attached Thumbnails How much is my coupe worth?-tjm_gt_8.jpg   How much is my coupe worth?-91_gt1.jpg   How much is my coupe worth?-timspony306.jpg  

Last edited by Timspony; 01-13-2009 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: How much is my coupe worth?