5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Got a vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 09:10 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

clutch onnly has 3k miles max.

U joints are tight, and the vibration was here before i had my gears installed. no play in driveshaft or pinion. And the vibration comes in at 3k rpms in everygear so im kinda leaning toward a bad inputshaft bearing

I just got the tranny out and theres no sign of anything that could be causing this other than i have 3 teeth inarow on the flywheel that are barly nicked were it looked like someone tried to start while runnning, but its very small nicks and i dont think thats the problem. The flywheel was new when motor was bulit and looks fanastic other than the nicks.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:17 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

the pilot bearing looks pretty worn and has the little plastic ring in the bacak that holds the bearings in, is crack and broke off. the input shaft seems to be farly tight. How can you tell if the input shaft bearing is bad?

Well heres a list of replacement parts i hav as now:

1-new rear main seal and pan gasket cause there leaking more than i thought. and is actually getting on my clutch
2- new pilot bearing and throw out bearing
3-new front and rear seal for tranny
4 new pivot ball(bad) and maybe fork
5-new u-joints

what else do yall think i should change? Most of the stuff listed is bad or needs replacing since im in there?

thanks for all the replys
Old 01-17-2009, 11:26 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

tailshaft bushing? hows yours look?
Old 01-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Sounds childish, but check the bolts on the shifter. I had one that came out and one that was lose and it made an aw4eful vibration.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:53 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
tailshaft bushing? hows yours look?
IDK how do i check it, also how can i check the input shaft bearing?

And my shifter was on tight, thanks for the replys guys
Old 01-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Chuckles_5.0
2nd Gear Member

I'll tell you its most likely not anything to do with your driveshaft. since its always at 3k and the drive shaft spins at different speeds depending on what gear its in...that also means its probably not anything behind the driveshaft.

I know that doesn't help to much, but I figured narrowing down what its not might help just as much. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:47 AM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

my friends has been doing the same thing for many months and he never could figure it out.but dont matter now.its off the road for good now.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by Chuckles_5.0
I'll tell you its most likely not anything to do with your driveshaft. since its always at 3k and the drive shaft spins at different speeds depending on what gear its in
?

specifically the 3k part.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:43 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chuckles_5.0
I'll tell you its most likely not anything to do with your driveshaft. since its always at 3k and the drive shaft spins at different speeds depending on what gear its in...that also means its probably not anything behind the driveshaft.

I know that doesn't help to much, but I figured narrowing down what its not might help just as much. Good luck.
yeah i figured that but thanks for the reply. i Called the tranny shop today wnd im getting everything looked at tomarrow, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and tranny of course lol. he said if i was a bent input shaft it would shatter the clutch disk and if it was a bent output shaft i would have a bad tailshaft bushing, that would cause wore spots on my driveshaft,plus a good leak, i have neither. Hes saying the way im explaining sound like a motor balancing proble, i sure hope not.

this brings me to my next question, what size balancer should be on the car, and how do i go about figuring which on i have, its a ford racing fluid damper type. also is there a special way the flywheel has to go on, any pics of correct installs will be so greatly appreciated, thanks fellas

Last edited by calfroper_06; 01-19-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:50 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Your balancer could have spun but it would vibrate out of gear too.
Go out and see what the timing light shows on the balancer. If it doesn't read what your timing is (and you know what it is) then your balancer has spun, for example, your timing is set at 14 base timing and when the light is on it it shows 20 or 8 or whatever.

Quick Reply: Got a vibration