MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion-87/)
-   -   an oil question (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion/512353-an-oil-question.html)

Chuckles_5.0 01-22-2009 09:40 AM

an oil question

I've been putting high mileage oil in my car since I got it (over 100k)
I've been thinking about going with synthetic, but I can't get "high mileage" synthetic. Is that just because synthetic oil is so much better than conventional?

I feel kinda dumb, but I don't know, and its better to feel dumb and ask then be dumb and do something that is not the best for my car.

thanks

ctgreddy 01-22-2009 10:14 AM

does your car burn or leak any oil? if so don't go with synthetic. and if you do, you can't switch back to conventional. you should be good with a good synthetic tho versus your high mileage...

projectresto83 01-22-2009 10:18 AM

Just use conventional until you put in a different motor. There isn't a whole lot to gain from going to synthetic and your motor has had conventional in it for so long its not going to do much to help it anyway.

Timspony 01-22-2009 11:19 AM

+1 agree with the ^^^^ ....you're not loosing much HP with a conventional oil

Chuckles_5.0 01-22-2009 02:02 PM

My wallet thanks you.

mjr46 01-22-2009 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ctgreddy (Post 5866758)
does your car burn or leak any oil? if so don't go with synthetic. and if you do, you can't switch back to conventional. ..

:rolleyes::rolleyes:not true at all!!

mjr46 01-22-2009 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckles_5.0 (Post 5866685)
I've been putting high mileage oil in my car since I got it (over 100k)
I've been thinking about going with synthetic, but I can't get "high mileage" synthetic. Is that just because synthetic oil is so much better than conventional?

I feel kinda dumb, but I don't know, and its better to feel dumb and ask then be dumb and do something that is not the best for my car.

thanks

the additive packages and detergant packages are so much better and refined in synthetic oils plus the friction tests done fair better with synthetic oils , and the gimic of the "high milage" formulation is just that = marketing tactic.....and the BS of switching to a synthetic will cause more oil leaks in a higher mileage car if you suddenly switch to a synthetic is just that.....if you develop leaks it's because the seal is faulty.

FORD TOUGH 01-22-2009 07:20 PM

I use conventional oil in any engine. I have seen some engines all sludged up that had nothing but synthetic used in them. just changed your oil every 3000 miles and use good filter like a wix, napa sells them, they are their gold line.

mjr46 01-22-2009 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by FORD TOUGH (Post 5868486)
I use conventional oil in any engine. I have seen some engines all sludged up that had nothing but synthetic used in them. just changed your oil every 3000 miles and use good filter like a wix, napa sells them, they are their gold line.

you should of seen the chevy malibu I did an intake gasket on last week....talk about sludge in the motor,:eek: the filter was plugged up and when i LET THE DRAIN PLUG go, it looked like diareaha coming out and there was so much sludge you couldn't even see the tops of the lifters, funny thing was the kid said he was doing frequent oil changes, I asked him where and he said WAL-MART ....LOL GOTTA LOVE THE 14.95 LOF they sell:)

HACKGT350 01-22-2009 08:56 PM

mike you are so right about everything you have said. how does your engine know if your using conventional or syn? it doesnt so how can it hurt the engine? it cant. the only reason why a lot of people say not to use syn in a high mileage engine is because the syn will eat away at the sludge that is built up around the seals and gaskets that had been leaking which will make it leak again.

as for not making any more hp with syn over conventional that is BS. we did a dyno proven test at school with the same engine. first with conventional then with syn and the syn gained 15hp at the wheels from the conventional. i would have never believed it if i didnt see it first hand.