5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Looking for input for engine build

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 01:25 PM
rmcmich

Ok I appreciate everyones input. This is exactly what I was looking for. What I am seeing is larger injectors and different are what the majority recommend.

Would 30# injectors be good or should I go a little larger? 36#?

What intakes would make the best bang for buck and what ramifications will these have on emissions here in choke an engine California?

Also, head studs vs. bolts, what makes one better than the other?

Can anyone tell me about the head selection? I am definitely second guessing my decision for the AFR185's. Woodsy recommend the fast as cast 190. From the research I have done I should be able to meet emissions. What about the Canfield 195? What are the pluses and minus' of each?

Thanks everyone I really appreciate it.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:17 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmcmich
Ok I appreciate everyones input. This is exactly what I was looking for. What I am seeing is larger injectors and different are what the majority recommend.

Would 30# injectors be good or should I go a little larger? 36#?

What intakes would make the best bang for buck and what ramifications will these have on emissions here in choke an engine California?

Also, head studs vs. bolts, what makes one better than the other?

Can anyone tell me about the head selection? I am definitely second guessing my decision for the AFR185's. Woodsy recommend the fast as cast 190. From the research I have done I should be able to meet emissions. What about the Canfield 195? What are the pluses and minus' of each?

Thanks everyone I really appreciate it.
Now this is just a hunch but I doubt anyone here on this forum has used all 3 heads on a 347, best bet is to call or email me. I have used nearly every common aftermarket head over the last 15 years. And for the record I make the most money selling AFR's so i dont want to hear anything from anyone as to being biased. Thanks
Old 01-31-2009, 04:29 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I've installed all 3 on cars in the last year
Old 01-31-2009, 05:27 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
I've installed all 3 on cars in the last year
and which ones to you preffer?
Old 01-31-2009, 08:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by kweb288
and which ones to you preffer?
dON'T GET ME WRONG.....I am Pro-AFR but one draw back to the afr when I asked about porting my AFR'S, response was NO!!!! Not much room for growth in an AFR when you buy them, as they come cnc ported, so on that Note, I'd probably go Trick Flow next time around......but don't get me wrong my afr's are great and have supported the power goals I have set
Old 01-31-2009, 10:01 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

30#'s should be good. as far as intakes i'd say the eddy rpm II or the holley systemax. i'm not sure about the heads tho. i'd just go with whatever woody recommends. I just don't have anything bad to say about my canfields, i'm not sure how much "room to grow" there is on them.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:07 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
dON'T GET ME WRONG.....I am Pro-AFR but one draw back to the afr when I asked about porting my AFR'S, response was NO!!!! Not much room for growth in an AFR when you buy them, as they come cnc ported, so on that Note, I'd probably go Trick Flow next time around......but don't get me wrong my afr's are great and have supported the power goals I have set
wow, that does make trickflow sound a lot better, and they are cheaper
Old 02-01-2009, 06:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the trick flow will have room to grow with various builds, so that's why I'd choose them next time

Last edited by mjr46; 02-01-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:36 PM
MADMAC
2nd Gear Member

Great Info!!!!! I Just sent out a request close to what you have to Woody and his team. I am lookin at the DIY, but with the long block if they will work with me on it. The Big Question to myself was should I buy a dyno run crate engine an just drop it in or build it myself. I am leaning more toward building it myself for the selfsatisfaction and pride that I did it myself not to mention it will save me money. The wife is going to love me when I start to put it together in the kitchen. Maybe she will take the hint and let me get my shop started this year!!!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:57 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by MADMAC
Great Info!!!!! I Just sent out a request close to what you have to Woody and his team. I am lookin at the DIY, but with the long block if they will work with me on it. The Big Question to myself was should I buy a dyno run crate engine an just drop it in or build it myself. I am leaning more toward building it myself for the selfsatisfaction and pride that I did it myself not to mention it will save me money. The wife is going to love me when I start to put it together in the kitchen. Maybe she will take the hint and let me get my shop started this year!!!!!
Personally, even though I am quite capable of engine assembly and proper checks, I'd still let Woody at least do the short block, trust me, you'll know the machine work is right and when you have a question it won't be a person sitting behind a desk that was hired to answer phones....Woody's service is personalized and well worth the money

Quick Reply: Looking for input for engine build