5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Cutting front springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:59 AM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Default Cutting front springs

Hey guys! Well last year I did a complete suspension upgrade on my '92 notch. For springs I chose the Steeda Superlite Drags and am really satisfied with their performance. Only problem is that they have the stock ride height and I would like to change my front rake. I figure I'd probably like to lose about an *inch* so how much of a coil or how many coils should I cut off? I would just go a 1/4 coil at a time, but y'all know front springs can be a pain in the *** to install and I don't have the proper gear to make it any easier. Also, I'm gonna be running 17x9 bullets with 245's in the front; do you think there will be any issues there? Thanks!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:04 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

shouldnt cut them...
Old 01-31-2009, 12:10 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Would you mind elaborating? Thank you!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:15 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

when springs are designed its over the total length of the spring. cutting them may have adverse effects and also if you F it up your car will sit funny/drive different
Old 01-31-2009, 12:19 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Well currently as they sit, there's about 3'4 dead coils if i remember right, so even if I do cut some there would still be dead coils left. I understand that messing it up is a possibility (going too low/ ride quality), but if that's the case in the least I've only lost time, not money. So then I could always still go out and buy the Eibach Pro springs but I'd rather try to save that money. So any idea how much I need to cut to lower an inch? Thanks!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:29 PM
j3rry
2nd Gear Member

i have never cut springs on a stang yet but im going to mine this spring if still have it . cuz i wanna drop it least 2 inches . i have cut springs on cars up to 3 inches and never really affected the ride any . and steering was jus as good as was before i lowered it .
Old 01-31-2009, 12:30 PM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

As far as I know, ( though it's very possible I'm wrong), It's only a problem to cut the springs if they are progressive rate springs. If they are specific rate, then it shouldn't really matter.

If they're progressive, when you make them shorter that means they get stiffer with less compression, thus giving you a crappier ride.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:37 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by j3rry
i have never cut springs on a stang yet but im going to mine this spring if still have it . cuz i wanna drop it least 2 inches . i have cut springs on cars up to 3 inches and never really affected the ride any . and steering was jus as good as was before i lowered it .
You're looking to lower that "burgundy" coupe another two inches? To be honest the stance you have on that already is the stance I'm looking for. I have adjustable upper and lower control arms so I can control my ride height in the rear but I'd like it to look like that in the front. Did you cut those? Thanks for everything guys, keep the information coming!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Cut each spring by measuring the length of the wire and not the height of the spring. Take a few inches out of each spring and reinstall the until you get the ride height you want.Make sure to do both sides to check ride height each time. Measure the gap between the top of the tire and the fender before you start the first cut. After the first cut roll the car back a few feet and then forwad and measure the fender gap again. That will give you an idea of how much drop the cut gave you. It's a lot of work but if you want that "Just right" stance it's what you have to do. I did this on my Chevelle with a set of Moroso Drag springs. It took me three times to get it at just the right place where I wanted it. Make sure to have the alignment set when you are all done.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:24 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Get a set of 4 banger springs and call it a day. It will give you what you're looking for.

Quick Reply: Cutting front springs