5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

i like em shaved

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:32 AM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

Default i like em shaved

i need any and all shaved engine bay pics, preferably fox's but sn95 is ok. i'm sick of looking at swiss cheese sheet metal surrounding a clean, dressed up engine

-thanks guys
Old 02-10-2009, 04:09 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

check out mine profile

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...-1988ttop.html
Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

WELD ALL THE LITTLE HOLES UP
Old 02-11-2009, 11:33 AM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

is it difficult to weld that sheet metal or is it just a matter of being patient? Also I was thinking of capping off the top of the frame rail and making my own swaybar mounts. I was given a set of billet aluminum Steeda sn95 swaybar brackets that look pretty cool so i'd like to use those
Old 02-13-2009, 11:24 AM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

I had never welded before I did my engine bay but a good friend of mine had done some welding before an he gave me a 20 min crash course on welding, this is what I did not to say it's right or wrong is just what I did and it worked for me.
Patience is the key so I found out!

I converted a Lincoln electric welder into a gas MIG welder so that I didn’t burn thru the thin inner fenders that easily. For any hole larger than the size of a dime I made a metal backing plate and welded it in place rather than trying to bridge the hole with more welding passes.
Once I had everything welded up I then ground down the welds, and once I had all the welds ground down I then applied a thin coat of all-metal body filler and then sand down the all-metal. I then applied another thin coat of the all-metal body filler making sure I had all the holes filled this time, then sanded the all-metal again making sure it was smooth and flat the way I wanted it. My next thing to do was prime the engine bay with primer let that dry and then sand the primer to make certain everything looked good, smooth and flat and then I use a product called Evercoat to fill in really small pin holes that I could see before I painted my engine bay. The final thing was to tack rag the engine bay and paint.
My best guess would be welding 4+ hrs, grinding down the welds 1hr, body filler and sanding 3 times 6-7 hrs, evercoat and paint 4 hrs, prep and misc 3 hrs.
I’m not sure if this will help you or not but here is an old hosting site I once used and it has a few pictures of the general process of what I just talked about above.
http://www.netsnapshot.com/pcw/build...UNT=1924&KEY=3
Old 02-13-2009, 11:33 AM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by notch5oh
i need any and all shaved engine bay pics, preferably fox's but sn95 is ok. i'm sick of looking at swiss cheese sheet metal surrounding a clean, dressed up engine

-thanks guys
These are a few pics of mine and a few of my friends.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:41 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

*ahem*

....drool...

"that is all"
Old 02-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

you could eat off those motors.... I gotta do that to mine
Old 02-13-2009, 05:02 PM
cortlan
2nd Gear Member

WOW! those are ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! DANG... I didn't know it was even possible to make them look like that!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:19 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cortlan
I didn't know it was even possible to make them look like that!
It's easier than you think

Quick Reply: i like em shaved