5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Boned hard

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Angry Boned hard

Well yesterday blew d*ck for me... i got pulled over for "wreckless driving" apparently changing over 2 lanes is very very verrrrry dangerous when nobody is coming.

Anywho... so now i have to go to court didn't have a current proof of insurance in my car and my grandmother broke her hip a week ago so my mother forgot to tell me where to find the new insurance card. sooo.... i got a $116 dollar ticket i have to pay....

then on the way home my freaking clutch cable snapped... donno if its cause the spec clutch is so effing stiff that it finally gave or what.... but my transmission has been acting really strange lately... like it didn't want to go in gear so i haven't been driving it much... would a clutch cable cause this? or is my transmission just royally f'ed?

Then to top it off my rear end is making a horrific noise... it makes a tapping noise so i'm sure its probably screwed too... and my heater core is still messed up. right now i hate my car again, but boy does she look pretty in the garage =P

anyway... basically i would like to know if a clutch cable can cause a transmission not to go into gear if it's about to break or whatever... and how hard is it to change the rearend out.... i have no idea what i'm looking at. i will be doing this on my friends lift so that should help, but i still have no clue what rearend is in my car... what should i look for? or how can i tell... because i don't want to buy a 8.8 if i already have one... unless i need one.... but i don't want to order crap for an 8.8 if i have a 7.7 or whatever the crapper one is... and what all should i buy, i know i want gears 3.73 for sure.... but i don't know what else would be good... and clutch cable recommendations for a spec stage 2 clutch.... any help would be appreciated, money is really not a concern... but i'd prefer to get my best bang for buck...

thanks again!
Old 02-12-2009, 11:24 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if clutch cable had stretched that'll affect engagement/ difficult shifts, which can often occur right before it snaps......switch the clutch to a centerforce
Old 02-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

lol if my clutch is messed up then i will.... i freaking wanted a centerforce clutch when i bought the spec, but thought heyy it can't be too bad... ITS TERRIBLE! I HATE IT!

clutch chatter is killing me -_-
Old 02-12-2009, 11:41 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

try getting a good cable and quadrant, the clutch shouldnt chatter than much
Old 02-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

recommendations on cable and quadrant? cause my whole f'ing car shakes when i start to back out of a parking space, my driveway etc etc... its very annoying. and i look like a dumbas* when i give people rides for the first time cause they always freak out about it.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:05 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

MM cable, Fiore FWA
Old 02-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

where can i find those?

would bbk be a decent choice?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Ford cable, steeda, Fiore quadrant like mentioned, and a good firewall adjuster.

and you chose spec over CF man?

my spec clutch was the biggest POS ever...
and not just for me....
guy I went to school with had a spec stage 2 on his blown 4v converted '97 GT... it burned out within a year... and he only had it at the track twice...
Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hollister Hoodlum

would bbk be a decent choice?

no....
Old 02-13-2009, 12:25 AM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Where did the cable break? If it broke near the end that hooks to the pedal, then it happened because it was adjusted too loose. What happens is, if the cable is too loose, it will have slack and not stay in the groove on the quadrant. When you push the pedal down it "snaps" the cable back into the groove and rubs on the edge of the quadrant. Over time, this wears the cable down and it eventually breaks. I used the cheapest junk cable that was available when I restored my Capri eight years ago. It's got about 20K miles on it so far and has not stretched, chaffed or broke... because it's been adjusted correctly the whole time. I don't believe there are bad cables out there, just cables that are incorrectly adjusted. Too many people tend to set the clutch to grab right off the floor, this is not correct. It should grab about half way up. Setting it this way also ensures the clutch fully disengages when the pedal is to the floor. If the pedal is to the floor and the clutch is not fully disengaged, it will make it hard to shift into each gear and slowly kill the syncros. I harp about this all the time on here, but still laugh when I see threads saying, "I have broken 3 cables in one year... what's wrong with these cables?" It's not the cables, it's the guy installing it. LOL.

Last edited by capri debris; 02-13-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Boned hard