5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

another race question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:56 AM
topless91gt
1st Gear Member

Default another race question

a friend of mine just got a 95 trans am with the ls1 with a Hypertech chip. He wants me to run him. My mods are in my sig. I'm a little worried about still having stock gears. What do you guys think?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:52 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

get some nitrous and stickies and make it a good race
Old 02-16-2009, 02:58 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by topless91gt
a friend of mine just got a 95 trans am with the ls1 with a Hypertech chip. He wants me to run him. My mods are in my sig. I'm a little worried about still having stock gears. What do you guys think?
Post this in the Street/Strip section and you will get a better response.

Also, did he do a motor swap? '95's came with LT1's. If he has an LT1 then its your race to lose. If he has an LS1 then I would say he is going to walk you.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:23 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...you'll have a tough time with stock gears...better have your A game on!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:16 AM
v8440

Yep-you'd be AMAZED at what a small (like 50 or 75 hp) shot of nitrous and sticky tires will do if you've never used it before.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I think that LT1 Trans Am is going to have a rearveiw mirror full of Mustang headlights. The LT1's Make real nice low end power (better than LS1's) where the LS1's start shinning past 3500 rpm. The LT1's also responded very well to very slight mods. A K&N cold air kit picks them up 20+ hp at the wheels. The hypertech tuner can get it another 15-20 hp at the wheels. I did a lot of work to the LT1's when they first came out and if you try to run him as is it's going to be a slaughter if his car is running on all eight. Your only hope is if that little 7.5 rear end under his T/A lets go. You are out gunned on this one.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

^^^^ Agreed. LT1 is no slouch, but then is always the Driver Mod that comes in to play.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rajun_Cajun
but then is always the Driver Mod that comes in to play.
This is very true. If you are going to race him do it before he really learns how to drive the car. The LT1's have a bad habit of roasting the tires right off the line. If You out run him the first time never agree to a rematch. You can keep that one in the bank. When a friend of mine bought a new 95 Z28 I ran him at the strip with my old 78 454 Suburban. He couldn't hook off the line and I beat him by about 5 cars. I would never race him again. almost 15 years later I still rag him about it.

I was a fair move because I stopped over at his house one afternoon to help him put intake gaskets on his 88 Corvette. I did the work but he helped. As we placed the intake down I told him to keep the wires up so I could set the intake right down on the silicone beads. I asked him three times if he had the wires up and yes each time. Turned out one wire got under the intake and wasn't noticed until it was time to hook it up. After just ******* him for the entire time I was tearing it back apart and making him feel bad (like good friends can do) I lifted the intake only to find to two red shop towels still sitting in the intake valley covered in gasket material where I left them. It's been over twenty years since that blunder so I had to have something in the bag.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Lazor05
2nd Gear Member

lol, I did the same thing when I replaced the gaskets on my intake portmaster. I went to wipe my hands and was like, "Where's my rag?"
Old 02-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
After just ******* him for the entire time I was tearing it back apart and making him feel bad (like good friends can do) I lifted the intake only to find to two red shop towels still sitting in the intake valley covered in gasket material where I left them. It's been over twenty years since that blunder so I had to have something in the bag.

Thats GREAT!!!!! haha

As long as he didnt see the rags. lol

That reminds me of when I use to work at a shop that was Site Sponsor on here. My boss couldnt work on cars very well. He just started the shop and his wife pretty much kept their heads above water, barely. He use to ***** stuff up and then blame it on me and other guy that worked there. I actually caught him one time. We got into an arguement and I told him what I thought of his business practices. Needless to say that my employment didnt last much longer there. LOL Dont get me wrong, I've had my fair share of screw-ups too, but this guy stripped the fittings on the calipers of a set off $4,000 prototype Wilwood 6 piston brakes. He JB Welded the lines into the calipers to fix it. That is completly screwed up and crooked. He also is the founder of a car club. Some people that are no longer in the club made a website about him. I dint have anything to do with this, but thought it was HILARIOUS!!!

http://hardcoremusclescams.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

I was pulling out the shop one day and was squeezing between a wall and another car and scraped the rear quarter panel on the wall and put some slight dents in it. The car was going back to the paint shop anyway bc the guy he used sucked. He would wrather use somebody cheap so he could make more money off the sell. We outsourced for paint.

P.S

Sorry about the thread jack. LOL

Quick Reply: another race question