5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

HID kits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Default HID kits?

I've been looking into getting an HID kit for the 91...

Has anyone on here done this? How much of an improvement over clear headlights can I expect? Even with clear headlights on my car it is still blind at night time, at least compared to newer cars. Also how much does this change the appearance of the car? I could care less about how it looks if it greatly improves visibility at night.

What are some of the hassles/hurdles that need overcome to make this a reliable and clean(not half assed) modification.

If I chose to do this should I do it during or after a 130 amp alternator conversion?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Catchpole
2nd Gear Member

I did it last weekend, it was easy and fast.

The hardest thing was finding a place for the ballast to mount, I actually taped the ballast onto the bracket and used one of the mounting bolts from the corner light to mount it. I think it looks pretty clean seein as you can't really see the outside corners.

Other then that it was plug n play for me, I did however wrap the wires and all the connections in electrical tape so I didn't have to worry about it being sealed up and protected.

As far as the lights them selves it's an awesome up grade, It's a day and night upgrade literally.

****EDIT**** I completely forgot, this is very important. On the single beam kits from a lot of companies, they have the ground and power wires that go from the ballast and plug into the cars actual harness reversed. If you plug everything together and neither light works, then you need to try flipping the wires around, either by physically removing and replacing them, or by just flipping the clip around on the ballast.

Last edited by Catchpole; 02-17-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Sounds like I might be going to upgrade soon. Are the 'single beam' kits the only ones that are offered? Or could I possibly go for a multiple beam kit, if it's even worth it. I was thinking of getting a kit from American Muscle. Or should I go directly from a manufacturer? I'm looking at getting the most complete kit possible.

What about the alternator upgrade. Do these HIDs draw more or less power?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

So apparantly the single beam kit is for low beams and the dual beam is for high and low beams.

These kits come with 3 year warranties..... but how long do the bulbs last? Do the ones that are ''hotter'' burn out quicker?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Catchpole
2nd Gear Member

No, you don't have to do the alt upgrade. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem.

As far as who you're going through, you can go either way. I went through a small/no name website that just happened to have a lot of good reviews on other forums, I only paid about 60 bucks for an 8k kit and I'm happy so far. Comes w/ free 1 warranty.

Obviously when you're buying from American Muscle you're not just buying lights you're buying their quality, not just in product but in service as well.

I haven't heard of the hotter bulbs burning out faster, they just have a different salt inside them. I've heard claims of bulbs lasting up to 5 years and as little as two from various sources.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

thats on my mod list too, just never got around to it yet...

let us know how it turns out
Old 02-17-2009, 02:11 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

I got mine from http://www.dynamicsoundcaraudio.com/hidkits.html and theyre nice and shipped here cheap. In hindsight I would have spent another $50 on a dual beam, since I dont like to have things that dont work...
Old 02-17-2009, 09:43 PM
absolutbspec
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMC1775
I got mine from http://www.dynamicsoundcaraudio.com/hidkits.html and theyre nice and shipped here cheap. In hindsight I would have spent another $50 on a dual beam, since I dont like to have things that dont work...
I just bought that set a few months ago. Started to put it in last week. Extremely easy install but i have no idea where to mount the ballasts (which is all i have left). Havnt put the battery back in yet so i cant give input on how it looks though.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:48 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

I put mine on the back side of the bumper bar in front of the rad, gets plenty of airflow there
Old 02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

Ge here. He's a friend of mine and sells HID kits. He is a very honest person and has good prices...

www.myspace.com/hid_guy

Quick Reply: HID kits?