5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Is my local mustang shop ripping me off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Alex-7
2nd Gear Member

Default Is my local mustang shop ripping me off?

Dropped my car off @ my local mustang shop the other day for two things.

1. to diagnose and fix the whine coming from my AOD trans.

2. to install a shift kin in my AOD trans.

They just called me.

Said the whine is a bad torque converter. and that they will replace it for $400 parts and labor.

And then,

He said that a shift kit costs $400 to install. Plus the price of the kit I want. So $450-500 all said and done.

So that's $800-$900 I'd be spending to make my trans not whine and shift firmer.

What do you guys think? I think the torque converter sounds almost fair, but the price he quoted to INSTALL a shift kit is ****ing outrageous....
Old 02-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

is it a mustang specific shop?

usually specialty shops charge you more than a regular mechanic, I know for really big problems I take the stang to Cj pony parts, their labor is about $65 an hour... last time I checked...
Old 02-19-2009, 01:19 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

why dont you just replace it yourself and install shift kit yourself? its not that difficult. but i understand if you dont have the time, place or tools to do it.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Alex-7
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelty
is it a mustang specific shop?

usually specialty shops charge you more than a regular mechanic, I know for really big problems I take the stang to Cj pony parts, their labor is about $65 an hour... last time I checked...

Midwest Mustang in Lawrence kansas. They've been around for years. It's just a little bothering to me that the owner doesn't really seem to know what he's talking about. He just seems kinda clueless. Like he's just pulling numbers out of the sky.

I asked him how much was for the torque converter and how much was labor and he said he "didn't know" but "we'll fix it for 400"

And I actually got him to say that he was gonna sub the shift kit install out to another place, and only to the converter in house....WHAT?

I thought it was a no brainer to take it to a mustang specific shop. But it just seems shady. I'm thinking of picking the car up and taking it to a real tranny shop.

Anybody got any more input on those prices? I was under the impression that shift kits where fairly easy for a pro mechanic to install.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:25 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Shop around, like a trans specific shop.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Alex-7
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
why dont you just replace it yourself and install shift kit yourself? its not that difficult. but i understand if you dont have the time, place or tools to do it.
It might come to that. I'd have to borrow space and tools from a friend though.

I'll admit that doing anything to an automatic trans is kinda intimidating to me. But, I am on a DIYers budget
Old 02-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Chuckles_5.0
2nd Gear Member

400 bucks to install a shift kit?? holy crap dude...how hard can it be?

Sounds like a rip off...imo
Old 02-19-2009, 01:31 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

just get a couple of buddies and some brews and make a day of it. its not difficult at all and anytime you undertake something like this you learn so much more than you ever could just reading about it.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:35 PM
roostracing
3rd Gear Member

to answer your question...$400 for parts and labor on a new convertor and labor...average price

$400 to install and buy shift kit....MAJOR rip off...go somewhere else....hell, you can buy a whole new tranny
Old 02-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Catchpole
2nd Gear Member

I think I'd actually avoid Mustang specific shops, at least the ones I've run across. TMS (The Mustang Shop) up here where I'm from has put out some awesome cars and they do great work, but they quoted me like $700 to put in some gears. That's around $500+ in just labor for just gears lol.

Quick Reply: Is my local mustang shop ripping me off?