5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Finally going for it..

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:26 PM
88_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Talking Finally going for it..

I've been meaning to re-vamp my body since i bought the car 5 years ago, and i think i'm going to start the process... Took it to a good local shop to get an estimate and he said ballpark figure around $5k. This includes stripping all paint, fixing all rust, doing all hail damage (roof is severely dented), fitment and install of cobra ground effects and complete paint of body and trim.. Also around $200-400 for frame straightening. But i have a few questions. First I think i'm going with cobra ground effects, and everywhere i have looked it's around $1,200. I found a very similar kit from mustangsunlimited for $650. Has anyone bought this kit or heard any problems with it? Also does anyone know where I can find rear hatch window trim? I'm just going to piece parts together until I can afford to do everything. And before anyone says it, I don't want to find another body/donor car lol.. Any help or tips/advice is appreciated.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:02 PM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

Good luck with the rear hatch window trim, I've been looking for over a year. Your best bet is a junkyard or find someone parting out a car.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:53 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I have a good set of hatch trim....
Old 02-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

F*&# thats way over priced... crap i spent 3500 on my bodywork.

Radiator support pulled.
frame pulled.
fenders, hood and doors aligned.
Rust fixed under hatch, fenders and some other spots
3 coats of paint sanded to bare metal.
Underside of hatch hood and door jambs painted
The paint alone cost $790 a gallon, plus the extra pearl he used in the clear coat.
And he will install my hood pins whenever or if i decide to do it for free... all for 3,500.00

I like the sound of the plan though, what color do you want to go with... as for cobra kit, just buy cervinis, i cheaped out on my cobra grille and the quality between the 2 was a joke.

window trim, search the salvage yards!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:08 PM
88_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the offer on the trim, kinda lookin for new, there are a few foxes in the boneyard around here i'll check first. If not i'll shoot ya a pm.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:17 PM
88_5.0
2nd Gear Member

I know it's high, but they are a reputable shop that does great work and i know a few of the guys... just tryin to go with some one local and trustworthy. Everywhere I have went has given the same range of estimates.. He assured me when it was done it would be car show worthy. As far as the color i'm keeping it factory (scarlet red?). Hopefully someday I can do a custom interior also, because my good friend and co-worker owns his own upholstery business..
Old 02-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Explosive

Frame straightening ?
Old 02-25-2009, 12:00 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

I can understand that... i know the guy that painted mine from my friends father (i'm 17) and he did a show car quality paint job on it... They shouldn't charge you and arm and 2 legs for labor if you know them very well (IMO)

Post pics of this transformation, i'd like to follow along... heck i checked for updates like daily when 5.0stanger did his =D

i need to update pics -_-
Old 02-25-2009, 02:46 PM
88_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Explosive
Frame straightening ?
If you look in my sig the nose sags a few inches.. the car was wrecked before i bought it and bent up the subframe. Whoever fixed it did a **** poor job..
Old 02-25-2009, 02:51 PM
88_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hollister Hoodlum
I can understand that... i know the guy that painted mine from my friends father (i'm 17) and he did a show car quality paint job on it... They shouldn't charge you and arm and 2 legs for labor if you know them very well (IMO)

Post pics of this transformation, i'd like to follow along... heck i checked for updates like daily when 5.0stanger did his =D

i need to update pics -_-
Well I don't know them personally, I work with the owners wife. But i see what your saying. They did a complete resto of my buddies 86 F150 and it was amazing.. When I decide to get a new camera i'll be sure to post up pics.

Quick Reply: Finally going for it..