5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

benefits of gt40p's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:34 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

It's in storage right now, it's coming out mid may due to the fact that I'm only done lobster fishing the end of may. I paid 8 grand for it and have since spent 15 trying to upgrade everything. Currently my modifications are the following:

-Eaton carrier with 31 spline Mosher axles. And corresponding components for the 5 lug conversion.
-17x9 chrome bullits on all corners
-4:10 gears
-Steeda Aluminum adjustable upper and lower control arms
-Steeda Superlite Drag Springs
-Tokico shocks
-New bushings all the way around.
-Subframe connectors
-Ultrasport Aluminum radiator
-Dual 12" flexalite electric fans
-Meziere 55 gpm electric water pump
-BBk cai
-Underdrive pullies
-Smog and A/C delete
-Hurtz linelock
-Bbk 1 5/8" shorty equal length headers
-Mac 2 1/2" offroad H pipe
-Magnaflow 2 1/2" Exhaust
-Centerforce df clutch
-Tko500 transmission
-14* timing
-Interior I replaced the steering wheel, center console added a cd player and changed the speakers in the doors, fixed the power locks that didn't work and changed the li'l black squares behind the door handles.
-Hoosier 26x10 slicks for racing.

And I'm sure there's plenty I'm forgetting but that's what I can think of off the top of my head. And take into consideration that I live in Canada. Any questions?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:38 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

did you pay someone to do the work?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:45 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

I did for my my rearend, clutch and tranny, springs and control arms, line lock and bushings. I've learned a lot since but at the time I doubted my skills and I like to know things are done properly.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:46 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
actually ********, i mentioned a power level associated to bolt ons and a tune!

gt-40P heads. $200
Used, or cheap ebayed intake. ~$350 (i bought my NEW TFS Track heat for that much)
cam. $250
lifters (because i never use old lifters) $100
pushrods ~$75

so for ~$1000 you can put together a car that will make as much if not more power than the oh so beloved TFS top end kit ($2250 is it?)

besides... all you have to do is shop around. I'd sell him my cam and lifters for $200, so now its down to $850...

$850 for almost 300rwhp.... sounds like a ****ing deal to me

actually you 24/7 menstruating bitch he said he was on a budget. that was a budget set up that would drive like stock and he would still see an increase. i thought you said you wouldnt use used lifters but you have no problem selling him yours? Also if he gets another cam he has to upgrade the valve springs. there is at least another 100 bucks. since he says he wants everything PERFECT i am sure he will be paying someone for the installs. Does that OP know to do degree the cam? possibly.....

i gave an answer to a budget which the OP said he was on he didnt say he wanted to spend 1000 plus then the bolt ons etc etc
Old 03-01-2009, 06:24 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by fs308
actually you 24/7 menstruating bitch he said he was on a budget. that was a budget set up that would drive like stock and he would still see an increase. i thought you said you wouldnt use used lifters but you have no problem selling him yours? Also if he gets another cam he has to upgrade the valve springs. there is at least another 100 bucks. since he says he wants everything PERFECT i am sure he will be paying someone for the installs. Does that OP know to do degree the cam? possibly.....

i gave an answer to a budget which the OP said he was on he didnt say he wanted to spend 1000 plus then the bolt ons etc etc

show me ONE place in this thread where the OP said he was on a budget... just one

I do believe the only "budget oriented" comments were...

Originally Posted by cch
Was never planning on touching the engine but this kinda peeked my interest.
Originally Posted by cch
Thanks Adder! Ya I have the money it's just I just wasn't planning on touching the engine for a while, that's all, but I think I'll take advantage of my grab.

So maybe you need to learn how to read a little bit better
Old 03-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Explosive

JERRY-JERRY-JERRY
Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cch
Never really planned on spending money on the engine but thought I'd maybe take some interest if you all thought it's worth it for the gains over stock..???
if you're paying someone to do the work it wont be worth the money spent

plus a 23k car deserves nice aluminum heads. you want the show and go, right?

Last edited by 93 LX FiveO; 03-01-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:02 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

I won't be paying someone. I'm comfortable with my abilities now and what discomfort I have will be taken care of via a cold 24, some Captain Morgan, and my very mechanically inclined friends. None the less as for a 23k car deserving aluminum heads... it'll see them but they'll be much bigger. Most likely a set of AFR 225's on 418 stroker... but that's down the road. So in the meantime this is just gonna be a little "bandaid treat" with some tax return money.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:07 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

i guess it depends on how much your wanting to spend. the set up i described is what im doing and i expect to be in the 12's. besides why buy parts twice? if your building a 418 stroker your going to want bigger then a 70mm tb and then you will need bigger injectors a better intake and the list goes on just my .02
Old 03-01-2009, 09:37 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Well so far the car has been a three year project and yeah I have to admit it gets to a point where you'd like to see a big jump in your et. Next on my list was gonna be a 6 pt. roll cage but due to the fact I was given these heads I just figured I'd take advantage of it and treat myself. With the plans I have for the 418, nothing I have on a 302 will match up and that's gonna be another 3-4 years away anyhow. So in the least this will hold me over until then.

I appreciate the help from *everyone*, and hope the feedback keeps coming.

Thank you

Quick Reply: benefits of gt40p's?