5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Traction PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Dream Oval

Default Traction PLEASE!!!

I have an 89 gt slightly modified ( cold air, GT40 intake, E303 cam, upgraded fuel rail and 30# injectors) I know the injectors are overkill but thats how I bought it. I can't get any traction. I can be cruising along and punch it and it just spins. From a stand still I hit my shift light at around 20 FT. Only one tire is spinning. Should this car have come with a Ford Trac-Loc Diff? If so I assume I need to replace the clutches. I appreciate any help.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:34 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

yes you need a rear end rebuild if you are doing one wheel peels.

for traction, do you have any suspension mods as you are now? what kind of a car are you lookin for? drag? street? autox?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Traction = tires!! ...what tire you have in there? ...and get rid of those 30# injectors...with that combo (stock headed?) should be the factory 19#
Old 03-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Tberg725
3rd Gear Member

throw a drag radial you wont be spinning no more lol
Old 03-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Dream Oval

I have 245/50/16 BF Goodrich Traction TA tires. I think my biggest problem is the one tire spinning. I need to replace my friction plates in the diff is indeed a limited slip? As far as the injectors go I have been offered a trade. Someone wants to trade me a different cold air intake (mine is a Pro M), a 65mm throttle body (mine is stock), 19# injectors and shorty headers for my injectors and cold air. I have an H pipe and flow masters but still have the stock headers. What do you guys think?
Old 03-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I'd get me some Nitto DR's to start...YES, limited slip rear carrier...I would just get a new 28 spline carrier!

....Sounds like a good trade, trust me, those 30# injectors way too big!
Old 03-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Put a new set of clutches in that rear and cure the one wheel peel.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Put a new set of clutches in that rear and cure the one wheel peel.
But how much is it going to cost for the new clutches & to have someone rebuild it?! ...Now if it was an Eaton or Auburn, that's different story....
Old 03-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timspony
But how much is it going to cost for the new clutches & to have someone rebuild it?! ...Now if it was an Eaton or Auburn, that's different story....
This is something the average gearhead can do. about 90 dollars for the clutch pack and no need for a need for a rear gear install procedure. Just yank the axles and the carrier and do the clutches. If he install the new carrier it will be like a gear swap. You will have to buy fluids in either case. It would all come down to the shape of the spider gears.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Dream Oval

I have done the diff clutches before in a 4X4. That's the route I'll take. What do you think about the parts trade? Thanks for the input

Quick Reply: Traction PLEASE!!!