5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the ground runs from the battery down to the block, so follow it down there and see if bolt is loose or corroded......you can jump the selonoid by taking a screwdriver and touching the always hot side to the starter side and if it cranks it could be a bad selonoid , and that's to say that the ignition feed to selonoid is okay and operational
Old 03-08-2009, 09:10 PM
BNASTY5.0

MJR, you are a badass. I just had my neighbor jump my car and it fired up. I am now convinced it is the alternator. I say this because I test drove it and here is what I found.... my volt meter is buried, and not reading anything. My turn signals do not blink anymore, they just stay solid. I could tell that my car was running on just battery because of the slow pickup, my lights started to dim again, and for the last couple months I had a surging idle. Now when I pullled up to a light on just the battery there was no surging and ran smoother than ever. I do have upgrades and my car, a few of which said I would need a bigger alternator to run them, underdrive pullies ectt.... which I suspect is possibly what killed my alternator. When I got home I turned the car off, and tried to turn it back on and I was back to square one. Nothing when I turned the key. So am I correct on it being the alterantor? Also, when I install A new one will my turn signals and volt meter begin working properly? I want to get the chrome 140AMP, or do you think I should go with a 200AMP because I will be getting a whole top end intake,heads,cam... nitrous Thanks for your help. Your a good man charlie brown
Old 03-08-2009, 09:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no need for a 200 amp, a 3g conversion would be sufficient, but yes to answer your question is seems like an alt problem/bad one, a vehicles systems needs 12 volts min to function properly otherwise computer controlled cars will do some wierd things once 12 v is not present, as a battery looses it's charge voltage output decreases. recharge battery fully before installing new alt, otherwise risk damaging a new alt
Old 03-08-2009, 09:35 PM
BNASTY5.0

MJR, one more question not related if you have a moment, since you sound very knowledgeable in the 5.0. First, what is the 3g conversion? Also my overdrive went out on my automatic. It will engage and drive smooth up to about 30mph, then it will slip? Do you have any of your majical imformation on that? How much would it cost to fix, roughly? Also can I add you as a friend or something on here?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by BNASTY5.0
MJR, one more question not related if you have a moment, since you sound very knowledgeable in the 5.0. First, what is the 3g conversion? Also my overdrive went out on my automatic. It will engage and drive smooth up to about 30mph, then it will slip? Do you have any of your majical imformation on that? How much would it cost to fix, roughly? Also can I add you as a friend or something on here?
94-95 mustangs came with what is known as a 3g alt with 130 amp capability and with a minor harness mod they can be bolted right on to a 87-93 mustang......as for the AOD OD issue, it is very common for the overdrive band to fail in them and if the issue is just with 1 gear and or overdrive, then it'll most likely need a rebuild, make sure fluid level is correct first.....cost will vary on a rebuild and yes feel free to add me as a friend if you desire
Old 03-09-2009, 03:08 PM
BNASTY5.0

Thanks for the info. My transmission runs good. The only problem is with overdrive. It catches normal up to like 25-30MPH, then just slips completely. Overdrive worked perfectly fine until like 5 months ago. It slipped when I was going like 90 on the freeway, and hasn't worked since. I tried to punch it a little once and it went like a beast until probley like 35-40, and it slipped real quick. Thats what I figured it was, was the band. Do the bands just go out completely or will they still catch for a while and slip. The fluid was at the correct level though at the time. So I always have to drive it the D gear. I guess the automatics are 4 speed, but my car only gets 3 of the 4 gears when I drive it in Drive gear. It runs the a champ in drive though, no problems at all. How many RPM's should I go up to tops in 3rd gear you think, because I have 4:10 gears. I try to stay below 3000 rpms which is basically 50 MPH, becaue I dont want to overrev it and jack up my engine. Can I drive it higher, or does that sound about right. Thank in advance for you help, and this probably does not belong in this area of the forum haha
Old 03-10-2009, 12:34 PM
BNASTY5.0

Default UPDATE

I took my alternator up to Advance Auto, and the alternator tested good and they said that is not the problem. My battery is only a few months old, but I am going to bring that to be tested today. If it is not the battery, than what else should I be looking at. Its obviously something electrical/bad wire. Isn't there a fuse for the alternator located somewhere? Help Please. Thanks in advance my friends..