5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

331 Stroker questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:22 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

Default 331 Stroker questions

Hey guys, i searched first to make sure i wasnt reposting...i could have missed it.

After i have some fun with my motor this summer, i was thinking about doing a 331 Stroker next year. ive checked out fordstrokers.com and seems like a good deal. im too cheap to do a forced induction, or am i wrong? and will pay about the same to do a 331?

what parts will have to be upgraded? im running a carb setup. any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

If you are going N/A I'd go 347. in either case you need to dump the heads, intake, probably the cam and the 650 performer unless this engine is going in a 4 wheel drive truck. That Holley Street Dominator was one of the worst intakes ever built. It was designed around early 80's heads. It was an era of automotive history better forgotten
Old 03-12-2009, 03:14 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
If you are going N/A I'd go 347. in either case you need to dump the heads, intake, probably the cam and the 650 performer unless this engine is going in a 4 wheel drive truck. That Holley Street Dominator was one of the worst intakes ever built. It was designed around early 80's heads. It was an era of automotive history better forgotten
well thanks for letting me know, how bad exactly is it? and do you mean, bad in general? or bad for a stroker... i was desperate for an intake and found it for $60 used...i guess now i know why
Old 03-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

In my opinion it's the absolute worst aftermarket dual plane intake ever. We had a 355 Chevy on the dyno with one on it. We picked up 400 rpm with an early edelbrock performer (not the rpm or rpm air gap but the regular performer). At 5200 rpm power dropped like a rock. When they came out most V8 street engines (ford 302 Chevy 305) wernt making but about 140-170 hp. It just allowed you to put a 4 barrel carb on those engines for a 10-15 hp increase. It would work OK on a stock, unported headed 4X4 pickup with an RV type cam. Other than that it's door stop. I've passed up a lot of them at swap meets for 20-35 dollars. They sold for around 90-100 dollars new.Holley rather forget them as well. It's that bad
Old 03-12-2009, 08:39 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
In my opinion it's the absolute worst aftermarket dual plane intake ever. We had a 355 Chevy on the dyno with one on it. We picked up 400 rpm with an early edelbrock performer (not the rpm or rpm air gap but the regular performer). At 5200 rpm power dropped like a rock. When they came out most V8 street engines (ford 302 Chevy 305) wernt making but about 140-170 hp. It just allowed you to put a 4 barrel carb on those engines for a 10-15 hp increase. It would work OK on a stock, unported headed 4X4 pickup with an RV type cam. Other than that it's door stop. I've passed up a lot of them at swap meets for 20-35 dollars. They sold for around 90-100 dollars new.Holley rather forget them as well. It's that bad
the one ive got is a single plane...my car, isnt going to be a strip car, for the most part, something to have fun with that has got some pick up to it, if the intake manifold ive got can provide that, at the least...ill be happy. lol i can always take an afternoon to swap the holley out for a better one next winter or late summer if i really dont like how its running.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:49 PM
saleenpride1986
2nd Gear Member

not to sidetrack, but if you want to just pick up some more power and have a nice fun streetable car, you could always get one of those top end kits and add a decent amount of power to your car without having to rebuild the entire thing. Says you have a fresh block in your sig so perhaps that would be a cheaper method of producing power.

you would definitely want to change the gt40 heads out for something that can breathe better if you were to 331 or more displacement. Summitracing.com has 3 or 4 different types of top end kits check em out and if you still want to do 331 hit up fordstrokers.com and or pm him on this forum, and see what you like to do!

**off topic this is for portmaster** I just noticed that your sig pic is a die cast picture??? Is that accurate or is that just the way it looks on the image?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

If your gonna build a stroker, being cheap in doing such isn't the answer, building it right and spendin' money where it needs to be spent is, there would be no point throwing a stoker together with a **** poor match of parts for the sake of just being able to tell that ls-1 guy who pulls up to you at a light and proceeds to whoop your ace, but yeah you got a stroker under the hood, cause that's all you 'll be able to say.........a stroker needs a well ported rpm air gap or victor jr and at least a 750 carb set up right and at least a 185 to 195 cc head and free flowing exhaust, so in short, and no offense but YOU HAVE NOTHING LISTED worth puting on a decent stroker

Last edited by mjr46; 03-12-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:20 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by saleenpride1986
not to sidetrack, but if you want to just pick up some more power and have a nice fun streetable car, you could always get one of those top end kits and add a decent amount of power to your car without having to rebuild the entire thing. Says you have a fresh block in your sig so perhaps that would be a cheaper method of producing power.

you would definitely want to change the gt40 heads out for something that can breathe better if you were to 331 or more displacement. Summitracing.com has 3 or 4 different types of top end kits check em out and if you still want to do 331 hit up fordstrokers.com and or pm him on this forum, and see what you like to do!

**off topic this is for portmaster** I just noticed that your sig pic is a die cast picture??? Is that accurate or is that just the way it looks on the image?
ill def check out those top end kits, ehh i shouldnt say fresh block, it wasnt machined or anything, just had it overhauled...new bearings, cleaned everything, rehoned etc....as for the heads, this is my first car ive built, and from top to bottom, eveything in my sig, ive only spent probably $2200-2500 including the car with just the motor when i bought it. so i was going for a budget build, i saw that the GT40's were better than E7's so i picked them up for cheap...if i was going to get a stroker kit...i would def do heads and supporting mods...will the street dominator suck that much?

haha not to jump in front of you, but i asked portmaster that same question a month or 2 ago, it is actually a die cast model of a notch that was built, cant remember the name, he could tell you but from what i recall hes building his car to look identical?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:24 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
If your gonna build a stroker, being cheap in doing such isn't the answer, building it right and spendin' money where it needs to be spent is, there would be no point throwing a stoker together with a **** poor match of parts for the sake of just being able to tell that ls-1 guy who pulls up to you at a light and proceeds to whoop your ace, but yeah you got a stroker under the hood, cause that's all you 'll be able to say.........a stroker needs a well ported rpm air gap or victor jr and at least a 750 carb set up right and at least a 185 to 195 cc head and free flowing exhaust, so in short, and no offense but YOU HAVE NOTHING LISTED worth puting on a decent stroker
i agree, i wouldnt build a **** stroker....lol i was just curious as to what needed to be spent on such to make it smooth running, healthy motor....
Old 03-12-2009, 09:30 PM
saleenpride1986
2nd Gear Member

if you're too cheap to get forced induction, You probably will be more 'too cheap' to buy a stroker. It's likely going to cost more than just a super or turbo charger. Since you'd basically be upping everything in your engine right now, as you will be starving the **** out of a stroker.

Quick Reply: 331 Stroker questions