5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

trransmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:15 PM
bigcountrywvu

Default trransmission

I have a 1995 mustang gt with the aeod tranny I am looking at converting it to a standard. The problem that I am having is that when I try to order one though Summit it eliminates the tremec T5 when i put in 95. Does anyone know why this happens. I was told that the T5 is not strong enough for the 95 gt but that doesnt make sence because it was the standard operating equipment that came in that year. What should I do to? If anyone has any parts that they are looking to get rid of to help me out let me know. Well I guess I am going to have a aeod tranny to get rid of to, it does need some work done to it. The tranny is locking into gear before it is actually all the way in gear.

Confused
Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Ummm T5s were factory standard trannys in 95. Idk why summits doing that, What all are you lacking for the conversion?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:26 PM
bigcountrywvu

right now i have nothing but I have about $3500 to spend i am hoping i can get what i need for that
Old 03-20-2009, 10:32 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

are you looking to by a brand new tranny? Whats your mods, caus i know you can get a stock rebuild one for 750 all day long, dont know if it can handle your HP but if your stock then it should be fine?

I would check www.corral.net for parts, they have a great classified section
Old 03-20-2009, 10:34 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

here you go

http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1107749

just something for an example
Old 03-20-2009, 10:38 PM
bigcountrywvu

I really dont have any mods to speak of. underdrive pulleys, flowmaster 40 series cat back system 2.5 inch, cold air intake, bbk shorty headers. and thats pretty much it. although I want to eventually want to put a 351 in the car that may or may not come true. as far as new or used I was thinking of going new just to get the warranty. I was thinking about gettting that cobra tranny that came in that years cobra I heard that it is much stronger. Again I am not sure what to do that is why I am asking on here I really am lost
Old 03-20-2009, 10:43 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

The cobra trannys not really that much stronger. pretty much just a world class. And with 3500 buck you should be able to do it, and get a few go fast parts too!!!!!!! I would recommend a set of gears
Old 03-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

It's probably because Summit doesn't stock the 94 and up T5. The more popular 93 and down T5 is a bit different. I think it's the length of the input shaft.

I'd use a T5 if it was already in there and continue using it until it broke but if you are going through the trouble of installing. Just step up and get a TKO500 and never look back.

The T5 is "just enough" in terms of durability. I'm sure many hardcore T5's users will tell you how they have or know of one that's not broken but fact is many users have broken them. If I was to rate a transmission and every 2nd person broke one. I'd consider it junk.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:50 AM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

If you drive them right they will last. I would buy a good, cheap core, can pick those up for 100 bucks around here, and look in to a company called g-force. For 1200 bucks you can get that tranny pretty much bullit proof. SO buy the time you weight the options on a HD tranny and a rebuild g-force tranny that can take some heat, there practically the samae price. WHat im trying to say is shop around you can usally find some awesome deals if you know were to find them!!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:55 AM
bigcountrywvu

the problem that i am having is that i dont know where to look I have looked around this area at all parts places and junk yards and their is nothing to be found. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look oon the net