5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

trransmission

Old 03-21-2009, 10:04 AM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

www.corral.net ^^^^^
Old 03-21-2009, 10:07 AM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1102667

Look at this ad, the guy wants 950 plus shipping for the complete swap from a 94 cobra. Even though you need to look into the cobra ecu, i might be a good up grade
Old 06-23-2009, 06:22 PM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default T5Plus and Extreme

Originally Posted by Jfsram
It's probably because Summit doesn't stock the 94 and up T5. The more popular 93 and down T5 is a bit different. I think it's the length of the input shaft.

I'd use a T5 if it was already in there and continue using it until it broke but if you are going through the trouble of installing. Just step up and get a TKO500 and never look back.

The T5 is "just enough" in terms of durability. I'm sure many hardcore T5's users will tell you how they have or know of one that's not broken but fact is many users have broken them. If I was to rate a transmission and every 2nd person broke one. I'd consider it junk.
Just wanted to do some educating here. Any T5 after 1984 will fit your Fox body. Tremec did some major upgrades on the later models, but they all fit the same. You can now get a brand new 400ft-lb rated T5 in the box, or you can have us build one up to 600ft-lbs. After that, the TKO is the best choice. A stock T5 from 89-94 will have the most durability, but keep in mind that most Mustangs are driven hard and a lot of these transmissions have squirreled up synchros and shift forks. If you do end up with a used transmission, figure on spending about $400 on some key upgrade parts that you can install yourself, like gorilla shift forks, upgraded synchros, new bearings and seals and hardened roll pins. Hope this helps. Gray@AP

Search this Thread