5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Okay now I do have bad news

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:37 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default Okay now I do have bad news

I just got back from the engine builder.. seems the previous builder may have put a crank bearing in backwards.. so now the bottom end is going to come out, the front cam bearing was trashed, the cam is bad... wonderful!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:39 AM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Ouch.. who built it before? Local?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:40 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

bummer, good luck!!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:41 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

yeah was a local guy I have done business with for years.. now its with someone new
Old 03-26-2009, 06:18 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Man that's crappy luck, did you let the guy that built it know what happened?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:43 AM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

See... stuff like that is the reason I was bustin' your acorns about having someone build the engine for you. No one cares as much about building an engine for someone else as they would building an engine for themselves... no matter what you pay them. I hope you can get it taken care of without spending too much money. What a drag.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:39 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

That does blow...
Old 03-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by capri debris
No one cares as much about building an engine for someone else as they would building an engine for themselves... no matter what you pay them.
NOT TRUE!!!!!!! I build engines for a living and I would shortcut my own engine before I would ever compromise a customers engine. Most of my engine builder friends are the same way. Some of us actually take a huge amount of pride in what we do because it defines who we are. It's unfortunate that human error may have became a factor in his engine but it happens. If the engine builder had put a main bearing in backwards you couldn't have turned the crank by hand once the mains were torqued. If one of them had been put in upside down (with the oil hole on the wrong side) it wouldn't have run 10 minutes. The right thing to do would have been to let that person rectify the problem. People do make mistakes and unfortunatly when an engine build makes one the consequences can be catostrophic. Thats the reason most engine builders pay close attention to details carefully. When I build an engine the phone is off the hook and nobody else is in the clean room with me. It's sounds more like the engine had an oil starvation problem which could have been caused by a number of things.Not a fair statemennt

Last edited by Portmaster; 03-26-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:23 AM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

I build my own engines also, and I agree with port, I have built a few for friends of mine and I check EVERYTHING 3 times before assembly, where as with my own stuff I do not do this. I think its safe to say that when you are being paid for a job you are more thourough because your reputation and your next job are on the line.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:26 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by capri debris
See... stuff like that is the reason I was bustin' your acorns about having someone build the engine for you. No one cares as much about building an engine for someone else as they would building an engine for themselves... no matter what you pay them. I hope you can get it taken care of without spending too much money. What a drag.
I completely agree, thing is I dont have the time nor the knowledge nor the patient to do it myself, at the time the motor was built the car was pretty much my daily driver

Quick Reply: Okay now I do have bad news